FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ECM fuse blown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Repair / Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70monte Gender:Male
Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: ECM fuse blown. Reply with quote

I found my ECM fuse blown. When I put a new one in and try to strart the car, it blows again. Obviously I have a short or bad ground. Where should I first look to find this short.?

What ground wire is grounded under the drivers side seat? Would a bad ground here cause a short? The floor was wet a lot this past winter from a blown heater core and a windshield leak. I was going to pull up the carpet and see if you think this could be part of my problem. Thanks.

Wayne
V6Z24.com
Advertisement
lil_blue_z Gender:Male
Dedicated Member

1991 Cavalier Z24
1987 Blazer
1996 Caprice Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the groung wire under the seat is the fuel pump groung. idk if its causing your problem but it wouldnt hurt to check it.
Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I did check that ground and it was a little corroded but not bad. I took it off and cleaned it up anyway.

I originally thought my fuel pump had died but after replacing the pump, the car still would not start and I found the ECM fuse blown. I thought I had checked this fuse when the car had first died but I guess not. It looks like I replaced the pump for no reason.

Do you have any idea what else I should check? I took off the ground wires on the engine but they were still clean and tight from when they were fixed the last time for a bad ECM ground. Last time the fuse wasn't blowing though. Thanks for any more suggestions.

Wayne
lil_blue_z Gender:Male
Dedicated Member

1991 Cavalier Z24
1987 Blazer
1996 Caprice Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by rechecking your work to make sure you diddnt pinch the wires when you put the tank back in the car.
Grandmaster N/A

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
2010 Sierra 1500 SLT
1989 Camaro
1972 Nova

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECM fuse provides power to the ECM, the ICM and all 6 injectors.

It's a pink wire with a black stripe which won't help too much since there are several others that are pink/black in the harness as well.

Ran out of titles

Donator
Level

1994 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look over the injector harness. if theres any bare wire exposed touching will blow the fuse
Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the feedback.
I don't think its anything I did during the fuel pump replacement since the reason I changed the pump in the first place was that it died at a stoplight and wouldn't restart. I also could not hear the fuel pump come on. I thought I checked the ECM fuse but apparently didn't.

This is a 4 cyl car but I have looked at the fuel injector harness and cannot see anything out of place or touching.

A couple days prior to the car dying, I changed the oil and also removed the wiring harness to the CPS because the sensor has been leaking and getting oil all over it and where it plugs in to the ICM. I cleaned everything as good as possible. I'm wondering if this had something to do with this issue?

The ICM is a couple of years old but I'm going to take it off and have it tested. Maybe it went bad but the last time it went bad, it did not blow the ECM fuse.

First I'm going to unplug each of the circuits that are tied to the ECM fuse and see which one does not blow the fuse when unplugged and see if I can narrow down where the problem is. Thanks for any other ideas.

Wayne
SuperDave Gender:Male
Grandmaster N/A

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
2010 Sierra 1500 SLT
1989 Camaro
1972 Nova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should help...

92cav4cyl.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.82 KB
 Viewed:  134 Time(s)

92cav4cyl.gif

Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superdave,
Thanks for the chart. I think I have found the problem. I found another post on here where a bad ICM was blowing the ECM fuse on this guy's car.

I started my process of elimination there by unplugging all of the plugs that went to the ICM, putting a new fuse in, and then turning the key to on. I could hear the fuel pump and fuel pump relay kick on. I did this several times. I then plugged in the far left plug into the ICM and turned the key on and the fuse blew.

I took the ICM off and will get it tested tomorrow to see if it failed. Its about two years old with around 40,000 miles on it. Its a Borg Warner with a lifetime warrenty but I wonder what made it fail if it has done so. I've checked all the grounds on the engine and chassis and they appear clean and tight. I'm hoping the coils are still okay. Thanks again.

Wayne
Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the ICM tested today and it tested bad. The old one had a lifetime warrenty so I got a new one for free. Now I just wonder if something caused it to go out or it was just defective. It was a Borg Warner brand.

Wayne
Addicted Member

1992 Cavalier Coupe
1992 Cavalier RS Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new ICM today and the car started up and ran so I guess it is fixed. My GF will be driving it to work tomorrow so hopefully it won't break down.

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Repair / Troubleshooting All times are CST (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: