FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Getrag-Muncie 5MT Dipstick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Repair / Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotgun_chuck Gender:Male

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Getrag-Muncie 5MT Dipstick Reply with quote

I tried to register last September, but the webmaster took long enough to validate my account that I gave up waiting. Today, however, I have a new problem, so I came back and checked and it seems to work now.

Anyway, copypasta from my rant on another forum:

Me wrote:
RAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHLSKAHGAKL;HR;ADSJFH;ASLJHGFLA;KSDHJFADHSH

I took a run up to one of the world's better driving roads a week or two ago. Immediately after, my transmission became much harder to deal with, especially cold. Friday I came home by another good backroad, and didn't leave the hosue after that until today. Well, today I wanted to go for another rip on the same road and then make a couple of stops at stores, but when I went to go do that, I practically needed a sledgehammer to shove it into gear. Okay, this is a problem, and I forgot something I wanted to return anyway, so while I'm home, I'll check my transmission fluid too.

Owner's guide says the dipstick is located on the driver's side, on the rear of the transaxle case (manual with a dipstick, yay!). Go out, look for dipstick, can't find it because of cramped, shadowy engine bay. Go back inside, acquire flashlight, still can't find dipstick because near-dead batteries. Go back inside, install new batteries, find dipstick. Transaxle case looks heavily soiled, as if fluid has been leaking from the dipstick/fill hole. U w0t m8 moment #1. Go to pull dipstick and... it isn't all the way in. U w0t m8 moment #2. It also slides the rest of the way out without needing to unlock. Clean it off, put it back in, won't seal, doesn't need to be unlocked to pull it back out. U w0t m8 moment #3. Go into town (driving much less exuberantly than usual) looking for a replacement dipstick, hoping it's actually the problem. Run all over town, visiting the dealer and four parts stores. Dealer says it's about to be discontinued and will also need to be shipped in special, taking about a week. None of the parts stores have it, or a generic. Junkyard says they close at 6PM but actually closes at 5PM, and they don't have a database of the cars currently available to be picked over. Other junkyard is also closed by the time I get there. Admit defeat and return to the dealer. Get the parts-counter guy to check one more time to make sure I get the right part, since this dealership has tried to feed this car ATF before, with annoying results. Parts-counter guy realizes that this car could have had two different 5MTs in it, one Isuzu (dipstick still in production) and one Getrag-Muncie (dipstick out of production period, no last chances here). Go out to get my VIN so he can check and... guess which one my car has.

Excuse me while I bash my head vigorously against a hard object.

Since getting home I've looked on the internet and just found a lot of GM parts wholesalers who uniformly point out that the dipstick I need is discontinued. PartsVoice lists ONE dealer that still has one, and they're in FRICKING NEBRASKA (which is very far away from Alaska).

I found the other thread by a guy with this problem, where he was pointed towards a dipstick shim that's supposed to make it fit "tighter than new". I will use it if I have to, but I still have two questions, 1. will a straight-up new dipstick fix this problem, and 2. is there someone out there who makes an acceptable substitute or still has a few laying around (Getrag/Muncie, remember).

In the mean time, I guess no more going out for rips for me, as I'm guessing what happened is fluid sloshed out the dipstick/fill hole every time I braked or cornered hard.
V6Z24.com
Advertisement
cavalier3400z Gender:Male
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

1989 Cavalier Z24
1991 Cavalier RS Coupe
2000 Cavalier Z24
1994 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53

I think the inside of my car looks like a fighter jet!
shotgun_chuck Gender:Male

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cavalier3400z wrote:
http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53

Ah, just that thing from the other thread.

Is that really the only option? Like I said, I'll use it if I have to, but...
iceez24 Gender:Male
Dedicated Member

1991 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great. I was having the same issue
butch_n Gender:Male
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

Donator
Level

1988 Cavalier Z24
1992 Cavalier Z24 Convertible
1994 Cavalier RS Convertible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceez24 wrote:
Works great. I was having the same issue
Ditto
SuperDave Gender:Male
Admin

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
2010 Sierra 1500 SLT
1989 Camaro
1972 Nova
1989 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a LONG time but I remember adding a washer to one of my old ones and it working. I think I just drove the roll pin out and put it on that way.

My YouTube Channel

Fastest N/A V6 J-Body since 2008... anyone else going to step up?
13.07@108 MPH.. 275WHP/259WTQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Repair / Troubleshooting All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: