FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Location of Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
docmart Gender:Male
Dedicated Member

1989 Cavalier Z24 Convertible

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Location of Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor? Reply with quote

I am installing a longer intake pipe, with the air filter being located under the battery tray. Where should I install the IAT: close to the filter or close to the throttle body? The 2.8 located it on the filter housing but later cars had it right beside the TB. My guess is that the latter positioning is better as the ECM will monitor the incoming air temp close to the TB for better performance. Can someone please weigh in on this?
V6Z24.com
Advertisement
SuperDave Gender:Male
Admin

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
2010 Sierra 1500 SLT
1989 Camaro
1972 Nova
1989 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put it in the intake path, if that clip falls off and gets sucked in you're hosed.

A 3.1 CTS has the same temp range (the one under the thermostat) and same plug. You could drill the intake tube and mount one in there if you really want to have it accurate... or buy a IAT for a turbo 3.1 (also threadded).

Really you can just do what thousands of us have done, zip tie the IAT to something in the bay where it gets outside air and won't get wet. I think on mine i just drilled a hole in the radiator support and stuck it through with the retainer clip on the other side.

My YouTube Channel

Fastest N/A V6 J-Body since 2008... anyone else going to step up?
13.07@108 MPH.. 275WHP/259WTQ
Six_Shooter Gender:Male
Ran out of titles

Donator

1985 S15 Jimmy
1985 SkyHawk
1998 Malibu
1984 Other
1973 240z

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MAT doesn't need to be for a turbo 3.1, 3100, 3400s, and many other engines also used the threaded MAT sensor. I wouldn't use a CTS in place of a MAT/IAT sensor, since it's a closed element sensor and will react slowly to temperature changes.

Midnightriderz24: Where's my Emulator that I paid for?

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
docmart Gender:Male
Dedicated Member

1989 Cavalier Z24 Convertible

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the responses. It has taken me a few days to get back to this, during which time I have almost completed my CAI. SuperDave I was not planning to use the clip-on system for the IAT/MAT, which the 2.8 has on the inside of the filter box. I was planning to use either 1) a stock rubber intake hose which includes the 2 ports for the rear breather tube and the IAT. See rocketeer's build:

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/overhaulin-project-more-fixin-t104089,start,735.html

near end of page. Or 2) drill holes in the intake pipe and install rubber grommets for the IAT and rear breather tube. See:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Spectre/Spectre-Vent-Port-Vacuum-Sensor-Adapters/3596320/10002/-1

I have done the latter.

But my question was really a science question: Will the car perform better if the ECM gets its IAT readings from the sensor placed closer to the TB (where the air will be warmer while driving) or placed closer to the filter (where there is cooler air under the battery tray)? The factory service manual says "The MAT sensor is used to control spark timing and delays EGR when the intake air is cold." Maybe the IAT only functions for startup air temps? The difference in IAT positions on the intake tube is at most only 16 inches, so perhaps my question is a moot one. Just wondering what what more learned people could add. I put my IAT port half way up the pipe based on fitment issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> J-Body Performance All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: