FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sunbird GT aero kit to Sunbird SE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotgun_chuck Gender:Male

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Sunbird GT aero kit to Sunbird SE? Reply with quote

Will be ordering my dipstick shim later today, so while I wait, I suppose I can indulge in a bit of farther-out planning. I searched for this and couldn't see it on the first page of results (unless the thread just has a non-indicative title) so I figured it was safe to ask this.

My Sunbird is an SE, with the standard, maybe better-looking, definitely-less-of-a-pain exposed-headlight front end. Will the bumpers and side skirts from a Sunbird GT fit this car as-is, without additional modifications or a full hidden-headlight conversion?
V6Z24.com
Advertisement
pingpong Gender:Male
Mboard Overdose

Donator
Level

1993 Sunbird SE
1997 Legacy GT
2007 V70 R
1984 190e 2.3

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sunbird GT skirting is held on with a lot of hardware so depending on what you consider as 'modifications' will dictate whether any are needed.

In order to get the covers on the headlights to work, you'll need attain and wire in the headlight module that is mounted on the driver side strut tower. The headlights will need the matching grill as well as GT bumper skin since the grill sits lower into the bumper. Behind the bumper skin is the plastic bumper energy absorber which is also needed to match the GT skin.

Along the side is the biggest pain. The body cladding that runs half way up the side of the doors is held on by white plastic clips that slide onto metal pins that are either welded or threaded in at the factory. I'm not sure which it is because my car has been repainted so many times, they are covered in many layers of paint to see the connection point.

Since the body cladding flares out near the bottom to make the car look wider, the skirting on the rockers have a metal support that runs the length of the door to hold the extra width sticking out. The metal support is held in with studs that are also welded or threaded in to the rockers. The tiny bit on the rear quarter is simple enough with a few screws in the bottom and clips along the top and sides.

Lastly, you shouldn't run into any problems with the rear bumper

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingpong wrote:
The Sunbird GT skirting is held on with a lot of hardware so depending on what you consider as 'modifications' will dictate whether any are needed.

In order to get the covers on the headlights to work, you'll need attain and wire in the headlight module that is mounted on the driver side strut tower. The headlights will need the matching grill as well as GT bumper skin since the grill sits lower into the bumper. Behind the bumper skin is the plastic bumper energy absorber which is also needed to match the GT skin.

Along the side is the biggest pain. The body cladding that runs half way up the side of the doors is held on by white plastic clips that slide onto metal pins that are either welded or threaded in at the factory. I'm not sure which it is because my car has been repainted so many times, they are covered in many layers of paint to see the connection point.

Since the body cladding flares out near the bottom to make the car look wider, the skirting on the rockers have a metal support that runs the length of the door to hold the extra width sticking out. The metal support is held in with studs that are also welded or threaded in to the rockers. The tiny bit on the rear quarter is simple enough with a few screws in the bottom and clips along the top and sides.

Lastly, you shouldn't run into any problems with the rear bumper

I guess what you said about the front bumper would be a dealbreaker, since I actually wanted to keep the exposed headlights and associated center panel.

With that in mind, is there a body kit somewhere that fits the exposed-light models and that will make the car look a little more aggressive without being totally rice?
pingpong Gender:Male
Mboard Overdose

Donator
Level

1993 Sunbird SE
1997 Legacy GT
2007 V70 R
1984 190e 2.3

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you wanted to keep the exposed assemblies, the GT bumper will work fine!

You can used the GT bumper with non-GT lights but can not used the non-GT bumper with GT lights all because the GT lights and grill take up more real estate.

The only issue you will have is a little bit of a gap between the bottom of the lights and the top of the bumper since the GT bumper has the recess for the GT grill and headlights.

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what I figured.

I noticed my SE does has an exposed (and rather trashy looking) bare-metal strip or bar between the headlights and bumper. If I painted over that, I wonder if it could help cover the gap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> J-Body Appearance All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: