FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Throttlebody cleaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonwell Gender:Male
The Mighty Admin

1992 Cavalier Z24
1994 Cavalier Z24
1977 KZ900
2013 500 Abarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Throttlebody cleaning Reply with quote

Discussion relating to the following How-to:
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/throttlebody

Advertisement
eddiesz24 Gender:Male
Messageboard Junkie

1994 Cavalier Z24
2006 GTO

Account Disabled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that brake parts cleaner work's well cleaning it up

the gto lives just in another shell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brad91Z Gender:Male
Bard

Donator
Level

1992 Cavalier Z24
1994 Beretta
2003 VUE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that works well too.

Brad

majorz24 wrote:

Moon is like an exotic dancer for J-bodies, he only works for tips.....
dirksz24 Gender:Male
Messageboard Junkie

1990 Rx-7

Account Disabled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the same for a ph 1?
The Mighty Admin

1992 Cavalier Z24
1994 Cavalier Z24
1977 KZ900
2013 500 Abarth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
Dedicated Member

1992 Cavalier RS Convertible
1990 Sunbird LE Convertible

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested this a couple times to my fiance when the car surged, and finally he agreed to look over the printout of the procedure last night after getting the power steering all put back together.

He says there is no throttlebody, since this is fuel injected, and what he doesn't understand is how carbon could build up in the thing he called a mass air something.

After the three days the car was sitting in the shop, all the cursing, and such, I've decided that to help him not hate my car so much, I'll be taking it somewhere to be worked on from now on, or doing it with my dad. He was a mechanic and is very patient, and I can actually help instead of just watch, maybe.

But, I just wondered why both him and his grandfather wouldn't agree with this procedure when others on this forum do. His grandfather had been a mechanic since he was old enough to work, so I'm a little bit confused, not knowing very much about cars at all.
cobra17st Gender:Male
Cone Killer

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
1988 Cavalier Z24 Convertible
2010 Forte EX
1989 Cavalier Z24
2005 Trailblazer EXT LS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeyedtreefr0g wrote:
I suggested this a couple times to my fiance when the car surged, and finally he agreed to look over the printout of the procedure last night after getting the power steering all put back together.

He says there is no throttlebody, since this is fuel injected, and what he doesn't understand is how carbon could build up in the thing he called a mass air something.

After the three days the car was sitting in the shop, all the cursing, and such, I've decided that to help him not hate my car so much, I'll be taking it somewhere to be worked on from now on, or doing it with my dad. He was a mechanic and is very patient, and I can actually help instead of just watch, maybe.

But, I just wondered why both him and his grandfather wouldn't agree with this procedure when others on this forum do. His grandfather had been a mechanic since he was old enough to work, so I'm a little bit confused, not knowing very much about cars at all.

I don't care how long they claim to have worked on cars, all the fuel injected cars I've ever touched have had throttle bodies on them. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep...you name it, I can bet it has a throttle body if it's fuel injected. How else would air get in the engine in a metered fashion?

Carbon does build up in the IAC (idle air control) valve as well as the throttle body, just simple physics of combustion and circulation. When the valves open, there's still some carbon left over from the combustion that makes its way into the intake runners and up into the IAC/TB.

I have performed this procedure on 3 different J cars as well as cleaning out the TB on my Focus before it bit the dust, not the exact same procedure but similar nonetheless.

91 Z24 - LA1/5M - WL2 - #16 SMF AutoX/Track Rat - "Tackling the autocross course with the finesse of a sledgehammer."
92 Honda Accord - Gas Saver Daily
11 Kia Forte EX - Daily for the wife
05 Chevy Trailblazer EXT LS 4x4 - Hauler and tripper

Last edited by cobra17st on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
pezed Gender:Male
I lost count...

Donator
Level

1988 Cavalier Z24
1989 Cavalier Coupe
1988 Firenza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fuel injected engines have a throttle body. it is what controls the air flow into the engine.
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, can this be done in a parking lot? I wondered about how much time it takes. I could possibly do this with my dad, but I'm not sure when he comes to town again, he's a semi driver.

It feels good to work on my own car, and I enjoyed fixing the leak the the front passenger floorboard. I just don't know a whole lot about cars, and watching them work and curse doesn't really teach me anything.
cobra17st Gender:Male
Cone Killer

Donator
Level

1991 Cavalier Z24
1988 Cavalier Z24 Convertible
2010 Forte EX
1989 Cavalier Z24
2005 Trailblazer EXT LS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeyedtreefr0g wrote:
Alright, can this be done in a parking lot? I wondered about how much time it takes. I could possibly do this with my dad, but I'm not sure when he comes to town again, he's a semi driver.

It feels good to work on my own car, and I enjoyed fixing the leak the the front passenger floorboard. I just don't know a whole lot about cars, and watching them work and curse doesn't really teach me anything.

Yeah, I did my vert in the parking lot of my old apartment complex. It's just a matter of unplug the sensors, remove the airbox, and there is 2 15mm bolts holding the TB onto the plenum. Be careful of the vac lines, they're plastic and tend to snap easily.

The IAC is on top, there are 4 or 5 Torx screws holding the cover on the IAC passage. I took those screws off and used TB cleaner and a toothbrush to clean it out. If you take the TB off (which I did), make sure to check the TB gasket for any damage before trying to reuse it. I went ahead and bought a new one, they're like $2 at AutoZone.

91 Z24 - LA1/5M - WL2 - #16 SMF AutoX/Track Rat - "Tackling the autocross course with the finesse of a sledgehammer."
92 Honda Accord - Gas Saver Daily
11 Kia Forte EX - Daily for the wife
05 Chevy Trailblazer EXT LS 4x4 - Hauler and tripper
redeyedtreefr0g Gender:female
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thank you
megatrends Gender:Male
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

1989 Cavalier Z24 Convertible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, I am all over this. Looks pretty simple to do and the benefit seems pretty obvious.
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

1989 Cavalier Z24 Convertible

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine earlier this evening, it was carboned but didn;t look horrific by any means. I mean there was junk and stuff and i cleaned it all up per instruction in this posted how-to.

Thanks a lot for posting this as it really helped. I would have never even thought to do this myself before reading how to.

It was very simple to do using cue tips, an old toothbrush and some cleaning rags.

I used carb and choke cleaner and it dissolved the carbon junk almost instantly.

I also checked the IAC valve I had just installed to make sure the pintle measured 1-1/8" from the face like the specs says it should.

One note I would like to make is to be sure not to damage the gaskets. The IAC holder piece after removing the 5 screws has a gasket attached to it as does the back of the throttle body which that one was mentioned in the posted how-to thankfully.

I cracked a very small section of the IAC cover and was worried about it until I took BigZ for a test spin where I could open it up to about 70mph.

I also did an idle relearn when I was done before going for the test drive.

I was impressed with how much power returned and leaving a parking lot laid a patch of about 15 feet of burnout from a dead stop not power braking but right from a dead stop throttle only.

The pickup increase was noticable.

I also had sprayed some carb and choke cleaner into the EGR valve and worked it by hand a bit. I am still going to take that off and clean it probably this week.

Also I would like to mention that before doing this if I would change my interior air/heater controls setting my idle would change and on vent or heater sometimes would act like it wanted to stall. On the AC settings it ran like it should.

Well now that stuff is fixed just by doing this procedure, I am not sure why but it has stopped doing it so I am happy about that.

Basically thanks V6z24 once again for helping us out and helping to keep up a good running clean machine.

*cheers*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> How-to Discussion All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: