J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

Yep its a 4t60 thread

11K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  inspector317 
#1 ·
Ok so I got this regular 4t60 non-e last fall (2013) its from a 1991 lumina 3.1 mpfi that was rebuilt ,that I might put in my car .I see there are a couple of us that might be interested in knowing more about them so I took some measurements

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks alot for this info inspector317.

What's the verdict? will it fit in our cars with no problem? what about the axles?

quinker wrote:
The TH 125 (3 speed), 4T60/440T4 (4 speed non electronic), 4T40E/4T45E/4T60E/4T65E (4 speed electronic) all share the same bolt pattern with all 60 deg V6's... And the torque converters all bolt up to the flex plate the same....

SO any one of the 4 speeds will bolt up to a 3.1L..

Issues in fittin them into a cavilier 4T60/440T4.. You'll need to fab up a new transmission mount or bracket to bolt from the transmission to the stock mount
Axles splines on the outer CV are different.. I don't know if you can use a set of V6 3speed axles on a 4 speed..
Speedo calibration
A vacume line needs to be run inorder to work the vacume modulator
A bracket to mount the lower dog bone mount needs to be fabbed up
Oil Cooler lines need to be reworked
Lock up soliniod needs to be rewired
Transmission shift cable needs to be changed and moved
The biggest issues is weather they will fit inside a Jbody engine bay bolted to the motor.. Both transmissions are larger then a 3 speed auto

So far about the question about the axles

Some says 1997 Grand Am axles..

Cahilj says "My first guess would be no, since the W body axles are bigger, but the CV may be the same. You may need to build some axles to get the correct spline inner with the right length."

Hearbeat1991 say"The axles fit. But I have no way if knowing the length you'll need. Pass side should be the same, as the trans mounts to the block the same there. But I have no way of knowing where the driver's side will land for axle length. Once you get it in the car, you'll have to measure."

I still don't know what to do here.. if it's a direct swap then yay for me but if it's alot of customization then it's impossible for me to do,

Our junkyards here in Canada they don't have older cars in their inventory. they receive cars and they strip them for metal. And for auto parts at part store for my car they barely carry any parts for it.

I usually buy parts from ebay in the states since that's where they all are and it's super expensive shipping and the custom fee on top of that.

There is not alot of companies here that does alot of custom fabrications (axles)

I don't want to buy this transmission on a guess that it will work..

info :

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/j-body- ... 96202.html">http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/j-body-4t65e-t96202.html</LINK_TEXT>

<LINK_TEXT text="http://60degreev6.com/forum/archive/ind ... 37952.html">http://60degreev6.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37952.html</LINK_TEXT>

#5 ·
slywith1988z24 said:
How fantastic to see this post this morning after you've been on me to hurry up and get it out and arrange for shipping and customs paperwork so you can have it before you move. I pulled the whole harness, the motor and trans and cradle, built axles, etc, and you don't know if you want to pay for it?? You should have done all your research before you agreed to buy it and asked me to allow you to make payments, and hold the thing while you got your money together. I told you I'd pull it off the cradle tonight and get it cleaned up and ready to go. I'm hesitant to keep working on it for you if you are changing your mind and don't want it.

#6 ·
people can change their minds, especially if its too much work or too much for them to handle. Just saying

#7 ·
I emailed you heartbeat1991

I am doing some research on this transmission and I want it. I just want to make sure that it will work.

I pmed alot of people on this to make sure it's do able.

torq455 quote

"I don't see why not. I have a 99 Buick LeSabre 4T65E in my Z. I did this swap about 7 years ago, so some of the details have faded. I kept the driver side axle. As for the passenger axle, I'm not sure. That was dug out of a pile of GM axles at a body shop that measured about right for what I needed. Then, you'll have to swap one of the joints out so that the splines with fit the bigger splines in the tranny, or the smaller splines in the hub assembly. All axles have the same size splines. Now, I could be wrong here since the 4T60E had lower output engines, therefore, not requiring the thicker axles. Hope this helps!"

at least I am trying very hard to make sure it works..

$1000.00 U.S. is alot of money.. lol

#9 ·
slywith1988z24 said:
I emailed you heartbeat1991

I am doing some research on this transmission and I want it. I just want to make sure that it will work.

I pmed alot of people on this to make sure it's do able.

torq455 quote

"I don't see why not. I have a 99 Buick LeSabre 4T65E in my Z. I did this swap about 7 years ago, so some of the details have faded. I kept the driver side axle. As for the passenger axle, I'm not sure. That was dug out of a pile of GM axles at a body shop that measured about right for what I needed. Then, you'll have to swap one of the joints out so that the splines with fit the bigger splines in the tranny, or the smaller splines in the hub assembly. All axles have the same size splines. Now, I could be wrong here since the 4T60E had lower output engines, therefore, not requiring the thicker axles. Hope this helps!"

at least I am trying very hard to make sure it works..

$1000.00 U.S. is a lot of money.. lol
I agree that it's a lot of money. It's also been a lot of work you asked me to do before you made a payment. In any event, it's doable, but it just isn't a direct bolt in. It will be fairly unique.

#10 ·
dude whats your deal? I was commenting on his post, anyway if you have an issue you should have pm'd him to talk trash not on the forum. Chill out

#12 ·
I don't think anything is really going to stop sly with the swap, it's just going to take some extra work. VSS is no problem, the axles are going to be the issue but it looks like you may have a solution.

If you want it, do it and post up all the details. That's how we all did it with the first 3400 and 3500 swaps. It got more popular and we all learned from each others mistakes. :wink:

#16 ·
I have to do a little more looking into it before I'm sure, but I can't really determine shaft length. It appears that the shaft diameter is a little beefier on the TGP axle. If the lengths work, the shaft could be used and the ends likely can be swapped on. But I will have to do more checking to verify that.

#18 ·
I was looking at TCC stuff earlier and I see several options on the internal transmission switches as it is not a direct swap on these
-no switches
-use relays to change normaly closed switches
-use 3t40 switches
I would prefer the trans work as the engineers intended at least on this so I will remove the side pan to install the 3t40 switches but I am not sure yet which ports to use 2-3 or 3-4 likly 2-3 just like the 3t40 but will it be ok to shift into 4th with the converter locked ? and would that cause the engine to chug ? thoughts and opinions ?

#20 ·
in mine I would like to run the 3400 chip to maximize fuel economy as I drive all over for my job. I am hoping for 29 mpg with a 3400/4t60 . I have looked into other computer systems but didn't see anything that would work and provide the same results as the chip

#22 ·
Myself and Frank on here used a manual shift setup that worked really well. His was using a ratchet shifter, mine used one from a 99 Regal. You can also make a Megashift kit that will work with it as well for full electronic setup. Assuming I'm reading this correctly and you are using a 4t60-E. If i'm confused on the post, please forgive and ignore... :)

#23 ·
turbochargedz24 said:
Myself and Frank on here used a manual shift setup that worked really well. His was using a ratchet shifter, mine used one from a 99 Regal. You can also make a Megashift kit that will work with it as well for full electronic setup. Assuming I'm reading this correctly and you are using a 4t60-E. If i'm confused on the post, please forgive and ignore... :)
Not a 4T60E. . a 4T60HD

#25 ·
I found this articles about the correct axles

<LINK_TEXT text="http://myfiero.oceanmoon.com/how-to/axl ... nsmissions">http://myfiero.oceanmoon.com/how-to/axles/fiero-custom-cv-axles-od-auto-transmissions</LINK_TEXT>

440-T4 or 4T60 (non-electronic) Automatic Overdrive Transmissions

Driver's Side:

You will need one LEFT SIDE CV axle shaft from a 1994 Chevy Beretta, Chevy Corsica, Pontiac Grand Am, or Olds Achieva with the 3100 V6 engine and 4T60-E 4spd auto OD trans. These vehicles also came with the 125-C 3spd auto trans and axles from this car won't work!. To make sure you have the correct axle, measure the distance of the shaft between the two CV boots; it should measure about 1.5″. Remove ABS reluctor ring using drift and hammer or press.

Passenger's Side:

Use OE Stock or Replacement complete CV axle assembly from Passenger's side of a 1984-88 Fiero 125-C automatic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.