J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

ecm test auto and 5 speed?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SuperDave 
#1 ·
I bought another 87 Cavalier Z24 that is an automatic the guy is telling me that he thinks the ECM is bad on the car and that's why it doesn't run. My question is, I have another 87 here that is a 5-speed that does run, can I take the ECM from the automatic and plug it into my 5-speed to test it out and see if it is bad or not, I just want to see if the car will start with the ECM from the automatic that the guy is telling me is bad. Thanks again, Roger.

#2 ·
Yes, that will work. Idle will be a little off and driveability will not be great, but the engine will at least run. Also the TCC will be engaged much sooner using a manual MEMCAL/ECM in and automatic car.

#3 ·
Six_Shooter said:
Yes, that will work. Idle will be a little off and driveability will not be great, but the engine will at least run. Also the TCC will be engaged much sooner using a manual MEMCAL/ECM in and automatic car.
Thanks six, I don't really want to drive the car with it I just wanted to start the car in the yard to test the ECM if the car starts then I know it's not the ECM that is bad, that's all I really want to find out.

#5 ·
SuperDave said:
lol Six, the TCC output is the Shift light output in a manual. That would be interesting to drive!

You can just swap the auto memcal over to the other ECM
Hey Dave, do I have to go through the trouble of swaping the memcal just to test the auto ecm in the 5 speed? All i want to do is see if the auto ecm is bad by pluging it into the 5 speed car to see if it will start with it real qwik, if it starts the I know that I have anither problem somewhere else and will just put it back in the auto car. Don't have the car here yet, still have to pick it up out of state but figured I'd start to diagnose by swaping the ecm real qwik when I get it here. Thanks, Roger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.