FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
OEM Sunbird CD player?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Car Audio/Video & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jtoenvy2 Gender:female
Dedicated Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Posts: 117
Location: Sandwich, Illinois

Offline

1994 Sunbird LE
1989 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: OEM Sunbird CD player? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if any Sunbirds ever came from the factory with a CD player? If so, where would be my best bet of finding one? Also, if someone could post a picture of what the headunit looks like, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
_________________

2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe | 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan | 1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan | 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan (R.I.P.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
V6Z24.com
Advertisement
Six_Shooter Gender:Male
Ran out of titles


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 19891
Location: ,,,(>_<),,,
Donator
Offline

1985 S15 Jimmy
1985 SkyHawk
1998 Malibu
1984 Other
1973 240z

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they did, the CD player was installed in the location below where the cassette unit is, and the cassette unit was replaced with a pocket.

Very rare, and you might get lucky at a junk yard.

_________________

Midnightriderz24: Where's my Emulator that I paid for?

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jtoenvy2 Gender:female
Dedicated Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Posts: 117
Location: Sandwich, Illinois

Offline

1994 Sunbird LE
1989 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I thought I had heard / seen about Sunbirds with CD players. I am going to keep my eye out for one. I would much rather have a factory unit because I don't want to spend a ton of money on a brand new aftermarket headunit. Not to mention, I really just want to restore the car. Thanks for the help.
_________________

2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe | 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan | 1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan | 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan (R.I.P.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Six_Shooter Gender:Male
Ran out of titles


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 19891
Location: ,,,(>_<),,,
Donator
Offline

1985 S15 Jimmy
1985 SkyHawk
1998 Malibu
1984 Other
1973 240z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtoenvy2 wrote:
Alright. I thought I had heard / seen about Sunbirds with CD players. I am going to keep my eye out for one. I would much rather have a factory unit because I don't want to spend a ton of money on a brand new aftermarket headunit. Not to mention, I really just want to restore the car. Thanks for the help.


You'll likely spend MORE on getting the factory CD player than you would an aftermarket unit, and still have the porrer sound quality of the OEM system.

_________________

Midnightriderz24: Where's my Emulator that I paid for?

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
_hec_
Can't get enough


Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Posts: 6239
Location: London Ontario

Offline

1999 Jimmy
2003 Grand AM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking a turbo bird the other day and it came wiht a CD Player stock, i was shocked if the bitch ever calls me back and i buy it, i will sell the stocker
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v6bluebird Gender:Male
Red Rocket


Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 4505
Location: Muscatine, Iowa
Donator
Level
Offline

1992 Sunbird SE
1991 Sunbird LE
1994 Mustang GT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you cvould get them, it says right in the owners manual, and i knwo they're super rare, but way more-so than i thought. I just checked car-part.com to see, and there's only one listed, 75 miles away, for 150 bucks

always thought it'd be sweet to have one though.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ncc2000 Gender:Male
Post Whore


Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Posts: 1131


Offline

1994 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one of these stock Delco CD Players at the local junkyard years ago. I had no use for it then, but I made a smart choice and bought it just because it was there. I've never seen one since, so I think my $50 was a good deal. It's currently in my daily driver Sunbird, and still works. Even plays burnt CDs, and rarely skips to boot. If you'd like a picture of the thing I can take one of mine once it's daylight out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jtoenvy2 Gender:female
Dedicated Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Posts: 117
Location: Sandwich, Illinois

Offline

1994 Sunbird LE
1989 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i was looking a turbo bird the other day and it came wiht a CD Player stock, i was shocked if the bitch ever calls me back and i buy it, i will sell the stocker

Sounds good. I am definitely interested in buying it, so please let me know if you end up buying the car .

Quote:
i know you cvould get them, it says right in the owners manual, and i knwo they're super rare, but way more-so than i thought. I just checked car-part.com to see, and there's only one listed, 75 miles away, for 150 bucks

always thought it'd be sweet to have one though.

I didn't even think of checking Car-Part.com. I'll have to check there before I head out to the junkyards this weekend. I want one now more than I did before since they're so rare apparently .

Quote:
I found one of these stock Delco CD Players at the local junkyard years ago. I had no use for it then, but I made a smart choice and bought it just because it was there. I've never seen one since, so I think my $50 was a good deal. It's currently in my daily driver Sunbird, and still works. Even plays burnt CDs, and rarely skips to boot. If you'd like a picture of the thing I can take one of mine once it's daylight out.

If you could take a picture of it, that would be great! As of right now, I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for at the junkyard . My Sunbird is pretty much my winter car for right now so I don't need a fantastic, high-end stereo system. I eventually want to restore it though which is why I thought it would be cool to find a factory CD player. After hearing how rare they are, I want one even more !

_________________

2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe | 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan | 1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan | 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan (R.I.P.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ncc2000 Gender:Male
Post Whore


Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Posts: 1131


Offline

1994 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtoenvy2 wrote:
If you could take a picture of it, that would be great! As of right now, I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for at the junkyard . My Sunbird is pretty much my winter car for right now so I don't need a fantastic, high-end stereo system. I eventually want to restore it though which is why I thought it would be cool to find a factory CD player. After hearing how rare they are, I want one even more !

Just took these using my webcam, since it actually has the ability to focus, unlike my regular digital camera.



cdplayer2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.29 KB
 Viewed:  1413 Time(s)

cdplayer2.jpg



cdplayer1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.06 KB
 Viewed:  1413 Time(s)

cdplayer1.jpg



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jtoenvy2 Gender:female
Dedicated Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Posts: 117
Location: Sandwich, Illinois

Offline

1994 Sunbird LE
1989 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks a ton for those pictures. I was wondering, I am assuming you need to keep the factory radio/headunit to be able to adjust the volume and all correct? Also, does it fit right into the storage compartment above the tape player? It looks like it does, but I just want to make sure. I am definitely going to try and make it to the junkyard this weekend to look for one.
_________________

2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe | 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan | 1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan | 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE Sedan (R.I.P.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ncc2000 Gender:Male
Post Whore


Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Posts: 1131


Offline

1994 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtoenvy2 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks a ton for those pictures. I was wondering, I am assuming you need to keep the factory radio/headunit to be able to adjust the volume and all correct? Also, does it fit right into the storage compartment above the tape player? It looks like it does, but I just want to make sure. I am definitely going to try and make it to the junkyard this weekend to look for one.

Yeah it fits right in the slot above the tape deck. The only thing you'd have to do it cut off the storage compartment that's part of the "faceplate" thing. Of course you can always grab the faceplate part from the car that had the CD player if you find one, but then the spot where the tape deck is located would have a storage compartment, so either way, you have some cutting to do.

As for keeping the stock radio for volume etc, yeah you need that to use this thing. It's just like using the tape deck on cars without the CD player. You turn the radio on, then insert a CD and it'll suck the CD in and start playing automatically. On a side note, this factory unit has the ability to play the 8cm 'mini-CDs' that are sometimes seen around. I was shocked when I tried one on mine and it went right in and played. Many of the aftermarket decks will not accept these, so it's a cool feature.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ridgerunner Gender:Male
* Newbie *


Joined: 23 Apr 2002
Posts: 5101
Location: Lost in the urban jungle.
Donator
Offline

1993 Sunbird LE
1967 Caprice
1984 720 Pickup
2002 SL Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the CD player versus cassette in these cars was an either/or thing though, right? If so, putting in the CD player means you remove the cassette player and just use the factory cd player bezel that puts a storage compartment where the cassette player is. At least that'd be the better way of going about it, I think.

(edit: Those pics didn't show up for me before... did yours come with both the CD and cassette from the factory? If so, my conjecture above is pointless)

_________________

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
ncc2000 Gender:Male
Post Whore


Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Posts: 1131


Offline

1994 Sunbird LE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridgerunner wrote:
But the CD player versus cassette in these cars was an either/or thing though, right? If so, putting in the CD player means you remove the cassette player and just use the factory cd player bezel that puts a storage compartment where the cassette player is. At least that'd be the better way of going about it, I think.

(edit: Those pics didn't show up for me before... did yours come with both the CD and cassette from the factory? If so, my conjecture above is pointless)

No, both my cars came with the tape deck from the factory, I just tossed in the CD Player cause I have it and it gives me something to fill in that huge hole where it should be. I can use either one, I just have to switch the plugs in the back from one to the other. I've been wanting to rig up a way that I can switch between them in an easier way (posted another thread in this forum about it, but nobody seems to be getting any ideas to help me out) but no luck yet. So when I have to switch to the CD Player, I just reach back there and unplug the tape deck.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> Car Audio/Video & Security All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group

Registry Login



No Account? Register Now!