FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   CalendarCalendar   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What do you guys think? (White letter tires)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotgun_chuck Gender:Male

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: What do you guys think? (White letter tires) Reply with quote

What do you guys think? Looks sporty from a distance, trashy closer up, but it's a trial run with white shoe polish; if I like it and don't get a tsunami of hate comments, I might get some paint and do it right.

(Yes, I know the car is dirty as heck, but one problem at a time...)

Before.jpg
 Description:
Before modification
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  4 Time(s)

Before.jpg

After.jpg
 Description:
After modification
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

After.jpg

V6Z24.com
Advertisement
butch_n Gender:Male
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

Donator
Level

1988 Cavalier Z24
1992 Cavalier Z24 Convertible
1994 Cavalier RS Convertible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

How long did it take to do it? Any idea how long it will stay on before you have to re-apply it?
jbodyguy
Dedicated Member

1986 Cavalier Z24 Convertible
1987 Cavalier Z24
1987 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

butch_n wrote:
Looks good.

How long did it take to do it? Any idea how long it will stay on before you have to re-apply it?

If prepped right (scratch or kinda sand letters first) it will last almost a year, if you don't curb rash them. I've been doing it for years on my pickup truck, here's a pic, and I order this paint from eBay, it's the only one I find that works well. The secret is you have to take the wheel off the car and lay it flat on the ground that way the paint will flow out nice and even.

20170419_081009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.64 MB
 Viewed:  4 Time(s)

20170419_081009.jpg

20170419_080924.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.85 MB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

20170419_080924.jpg

V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

Donator
Level

1988 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'll get some of that paint. It seems true white letter tires suck these days. I've got a new set of T/A's and the white letters are turning brown. It is very common, I've found out. BFGoodrich will do nothing about it, it seems.
I'd like to find a class action suit against them, for misleading product or something. I mean they advertise them as WHITE LETTER tires, not brown letter tires. And back in the day, they never turned brown. I mean they would get dirty, but it was only dirt/brake dust and would wash right off. Now-a-days, it is the oils in the tires leaching through the white rubber, so I've read. Pretty sad, but like most everything on the market these day, it is pure garbage.

I read where someone was using white shoe polish over the letter and it would last a few weeks. I said the heck with that, let the damn things be brown. However, the paint you mention sounds like will be worth a try, as it may last longer than just a few weeks.
shotgun_chuck Gender:Male

1993 Sunbird SE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butch_n wrote:
Looks good.

About an hour for all four tires, and it might already be coming off.

I have some of those paint pens that are sold for writing on glass; the packaging mentioned that they are very difficult to remove from a more porous surface (such as, say, rubber). They are a Rust-Oleum product; does anyone have any idea how well that would work?

My original idea if I decided to go through with it was to mask off the letters and use a spray can, but when I saw all the tiny, intricate spaces I was like "yeah, to heck with that noise".
V6Z24.com 0wnZ me

Donator
Level

1988 Cavalier Z24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered 4 of the Toyo Paint Markers SA101.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141459763489?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
shotgun_chuck wrote:

I have some of those paint pens that are sold for writing on glass; the packaging mentioned that they are very difficult to remove from a more porous surface (such as, say, rubber). They are a Rust-Oleum product; does anyone have any idea how well that would work?
Those are probably about the same thing and would likely work too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    V6Z24.com Forum Index -> J-Body Appearance All times are CDT (U.S./Canada)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: