J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

Wheel Painting

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  butch_n 
#1 ·
I'm going to be painting the sides of the spokes on my LS wheels.
While looking at paints, I found something called; Dupli-Color Metalcast - Anodized Spray Paint
<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.duplicolor.com/product/metal ... tive-paint">http://www.duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint</LINK_TEXT>

The Smoke is looking good for what I want, but I've never even heard of this stuff before, let alone used it. It says it is to be used on chrome, so it 'should' work on the wheels.
Anyone tried it?

EDIT:
I just found this video!

#2 ·
on your '88 or '92 vert--no pics of that....

I really wouldn't...it seems to be an import related fad that wont last or for that matter, already has passed...
I can say this being to this years performance&style show in Carlisle, PA and the "trends"
Either its the entire wheel itself painted or graphic'd is what they're puling off these days.

Yeaaaaah man

#3 ·
It's a set of LS wheels that I'm going to use on my 92.

I've never been too concerned about what is in fashion and what isn't. I've never been one to follow trends, I just do what I like and don't care if it is out of date or anything.

Here is a pic of one of the wheels with yellow lines showing where I want to darken up a little with Smoke or Graphite gray. To me, I think the wheels would look nicer with a little accent.

Attachments

#4 ·
That metal cast paint is more of what you would call a "tri coat"
It's semi translucent and brings out the base of what it's going on. So if you put it on a bright aluminum substrate it's really gonna make it "pop"
For what you want to do I wouldn't bother with that stuff.
If your looking to use a simple spray bomb I would go with that duplicolor wheel paint coating. That seems to be pretty tough stuff. Make sure you get in between them spikes with a rough red scotch brite pad to clean and roughen it up.
Should look pretty decent. Go for it

#5 ·
90zcar said:
Make sure you get in between them spikes with a rough red scotch brite pad to clean and roughen it up.
Thanks for the tip on the pad.

I'm going to get them out and the old tires removed soon. Looking forward to getting started on them. I'll update the thread as work progresses.

I've used the Duplicolor Graphite on the inner parts of the 88's wheels. I liked the way they came out, but I should have polished the ouer part more before putting on the clear. Anyway, I may get a can of the Smoke Metal-cast and try it on a scrap chrome piece to see how it looks.

#6 ·
Finally started working on these wheels. So far I've just painted the back side. I used a can of Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter before the paint.
I used 2 cans of VHT Wheel Paint, Graphite.

I hope to get the fronts done next weekend.

Here are some pics of the masking and the finished results.

Attachments

#8 ·
Got the Metal Cast on. Had to put it on a little heavier then I would have liked, to get a nice even coat. Masking took a long time.

I've ordered a couple cans of Spraymax 2K Glamour Gloss clear coat to put over the metal cast and the graphite on the backside. I don't think it will work on the chrome, so I'm leaving the masking on until it comes and I get it applied.

As for tires, I still haven't decided yet. I'd like to get a set of BFGoodrich Comp 2 Sport in 225/50r16, but in all honesty, I don't need those tpe tires down here in FL. No curves to enjoy them with, lol. I'm still looking at performance all season tires, for the extra miles they will last over the summer tires.

Attachments

#10 ·
heartbeat1991 said:
Be aware that those rattle can wheel paints don't last very long at all.
Yeah, I ran into that with my stock 88 wheels. They looked nice for a couple years, then the clear began to turn yellow and within another year, it was flaking off.

This clear is supposed to be much more durable than what I used on the 88 wheels. I think it was Dupli-Color Clear for wheels. Anyway, we'll see how well this urethane clear holds up. I applied it this morning, doing two wheels at a time. Used 2 cans, which I had to go lite on the insides and just put on 2 coats. 3 cans would have been better, but the face sides have 3 good coats.
It was a lot of work, but I like how they came out.

Now to get tires once the clear cures. Should take 12 hours, so I'll probably get tires tomorrow. I'm going cheat. Douglas Performance 205/55r16. They are made in USA by Good Year.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

#11 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
Looks nice, like new.

Hopefully the clear will hold up for you. Maybe waxing them will help. I never did wax mine after I did them.

I am going to put a coat of wax on the LS wheels. I have Wheel Wax I bought when I got the Sport Tuning wheels I put on the 88. Stuff is very good and smells good enough to eat, lol. Brake dust doesn't stick to it at all. Rinses right off with just water, for the most part. Certainly no serious scrubbing required. Just a bit of soapy water and a cloth and brake dust wipes right off. Great stuff; https://wheelwax.com/

#13 ·
Got up very early this morning and got a coat of wax on the wheels. Left here at 6:00 am to have breakfast and get to Wal-Mart before 7:00. Got there at 6:45 and was first in line at 7:00. Got the tires mounted/balanced and all good to go at 7:47 am ;)

Got home and washed the tires. I'd already washed the brakes, struts, greased, etc. when the wheels were off. Put some anti-seize on the lugs and got the wheels on and car on the ground. Not happy with the lug nut caps. They won't come completely clean, without polishing them. I picked up a can of gloss black, I'll spray them in a little while.

Tires are pretty good. Decent grip and ride is nice. Good feel and not at all noisy. These are 3 with date codes 0418 and 1 with 4417. All 4 were made in Lawton, Oklahoma by Goodyear tire and rubber.

A fun project that turned out nice, I think.

Oh and I highly recommend this clear coat. It builds up nice, cures in 12 hrs to a thick hard coating that is far superior to any of the one part spray cans. It is probably the best you can get in a spray bomb.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.