J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so the 3500 has been dumped maybe till next year. Im getting an 04 w/78kand 05 w/52k 3400 delivered on wensday, ($500 each :D ) I know there is a dif between 03-04. But is there any differences between 2004-2005 on the 3400 motor? Thanks

Edit is there differences in power between impala and montana engines of those years? I head the 00s had smaller intake manafolds or something like that.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
brinky said:
Hi, so the 3500 has been dumped maybe till next year. Im getting an 04 w/78kand 05 w/52k 3400 delivered on wensday, ($500 each :D ) I know there is a dif between 03-04. But is there any differences between 2004-2005 on the 3400 motor? Thanks
only difference on 03-04 is gaskets. 04 has the graphite lim gaskets or whatever the new better material is.

not sure about 05.....what did it come out of?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
'05 3400 Impala comes with the 3500 sized exhaust manifolds, they are the same shape as the older ones but the "mouth" is very large.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread.ph ... light=3400">http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=36268&highlight=3400</LINK_TEXT>

88cavalierz24 said:
whitelightning2 said:
the 05 might just have the 3500 style log manifolds.. other than that, no they're the same. :)
05 might have the 52x i believe reluctor wheel instead of the 7x that we use.
The one in the above link has the 7x.. it's running in a beretta with a 3500 top end. :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would I know externaly if it has the 52x reluctor? take off the cps and look with a flash light? I doubt it tho. Im going to look at the engines tomorow afternoon, I realy gt find this out

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow... thanks dave. the 3400 crank looks so much better, with the edges tapered to get rid of oil. I went to a shop that will make me a trigger set up If i just give him the block,crank,timing cover,pulley but, its like $200 more for a 3500 + the cps set up. I might go hybrid N/A.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
sleeper said:
could someone care to explain this crank trigger mechanism to me please?
there is 7 notches, 6 of them tell the ECM when to fire the coilpacks.. the 7th is a reference notch.

here is what the signal looks like that the ECM sees..

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
hhmmm interesting.....

i'm really stupid when it comes to these 3400's..... man... i really need someone to school me up.. because i want to build one before the end of the year..... i'm just finding my suitable candidate

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
sleeper said:
could someone care to explain this crank trigger mechanism to me please?
there is 7 notches, 6 of them tell the ECM when to fire the coilpacks.. the 7th is a reference notch.

here is what the signal looks like that the ECM sees..

The ECM doesn't see that signal, the ICM does. ;)

The crank trigger sends signals to the ICM to fire the coils in succession. Your 2.2 has the same trigger and works in the same way.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well..... In a way... CPS send the signal to the coil pack, and the coil pack sends one to the ecm for fuel managment/timing and the other for the tach, I remembered I mixed the wires up since they are both white.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.