J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the chance to buy a 1987 pontiac sunbird turbo (2.2 and the turbo is painted red, it looks nice under the hood!) it only has 114,000 km, it is white with 88 z24 skirts painted white ( my friend owned the car and i gave him the skirts!as well as the rear window and the rear dash(all the same in sunbird and cav)) he replaced the brake lines and timing belt and maybe a couple other things then sold it to my other buddy for $1500, he then only drove it for 10 days (trip permit) and it has sat since then (sometime last school year) now he wants to sell it to me for $500!!!! hes losing $1000 and he never really drove it. BUT the rocker panels are fucked, gone on the passenger side and lots of holes on the drivers side, BUT i think i can get a bum safety for it which is what the first guy did. oh yeah and its e tested and i only have to give my friend $200 and then pay the rest later!!!!!!!!!! so i could have it on the road for $300!!!!!!!!!! if i get a bum safety (which shouldnt be a problem) WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO???? GOOD DEAL OR NO???? (it would be my winter beater, cause im putting the Z away!!!!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
no i think that the 1987 sunbird turbo had the 1.8 turbo. i'm not sure but i think that my be right. i'd go ahead and buy it. if the motor runs decent and the body is ok too that would be a steal for $500.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
The '87 Sunbird (turbo) definatly came with the 2.0L, I should know. ;) '87 was actually the first year for the 2.0L IIRC.

$500 sounds decent, but it depends on what else is actually wrong, I bought The Raven initially as a winter beater (funny how things change, eh?), for $475, the starting price was $650.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I hate the flip up lights, that's why I changed them, I like the J2000 front end, looks mean, especially with the headlights I installed. ;)

'87 is the best year for the 1st gen IMO, especially if you are looking into suspension upgrades, since the chassis is closer to a 2nd gen than the earlier 1st gens.

·
Registered
367 Posts
even if the car dosent look good, i would just get it for the engine. Hell $500 for a turbo engine is pretty good if you ask me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hell ya get it. I saw a 70's model Sunbird and it looked pretty close to a second gen, and it had a V6 of some sort. They wanted 3500 for it but I didn't because I have my Monte Carlo to work on now. That's a damn good deal. But what type of holes? We talking BODY ROT? If it's body rot get new floor pans then rip the cvar down to bare frame and rust treat and then reprep everything. That'd be one hell of a car and with a small body like that and how easy it is to disassemble You'd have no problem doing a complete restoration. And take the engine and upgrade it and ya, potential. out the butt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.