J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we use a harness from an 88 5-speed Z24?? If not, does it have to be from a 1994 V6 SUnbird or will one work from any 92+ V6 car?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I dont see why a 88 5 speeds Z wouldnt work, did Jay have problem with his wiring ? :lol: Only difference could be the ac and vacuum egr AFAIK. I think he got a chip to disable the EGR anyway so the EGR is not a problem and I think he doesnt have ac, so the 88 5 speeds z24 harness should work just fine. After that, he will need to put the 2 wires and 1 wire CTS together (conversion to 3 wires CTS) for the 3400 and extend the MAP sensor wire and relocate some misc wires.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
swaped 3400 into my old z24 used complete 2.8 harness 1988 wired new plug into 2.8 harnes for egr used 2.8 knock sensor also set up belt to run same as 2.8 w/ no a/c

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
There is a large issue when using an '87 to '91 harness on a '92 to '94 J-body, and that is how a lot of the wiring is routed between the engine bay and interior.

Just to mention the wiper motor control wires on the '92 to '94 route through the passenger side bulkhead feed through, where as the earlier version were routed through the driver side feed through connector.

'92 to '94 has ABS, which has the rear axle wires routed through the driver side feed throughma nd incedentaly enough if you don't modify the wiring you will have the right rear ABD sensor connected to the wiper motor, using the older engine harness in the newer car. :lol:

You'll be much farther ahead to get a V6 harness from a '92 to '94 Sunbird, as this will pretty much drop in.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx guys, we'll hit up the yards this weekend. I think I remember seeing a v6 4-door bird :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.