J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<COLOR color="darkblue"></COLOR><SIZE size="150"></SIZE>
all right this is the deal. i'v never been drag racing before and i got a couple of question's i wanna ask. 1st things 1st. i own a 89 z24 with the 5 speed. as far as i know its completely stock except the stage 1 dynopack clutch. still on the stock 14's (for now)
1. what rpm should i launch at.
2. when should i shift (what rpm)
3. should i shift from 1st early(told its a weak gear??)
now i jus got the car and this is the best way for me to get a base line to start on the performance mods. i already know all about the tree and how to stage but this info would be great. thanx guys and keep eatin that rice...

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
try not to burn out, youll loose time, i would shift at about 5grand - 5500 but that was with my old z depends on what you feel comfortable with. Dont want to ruin anything. I never got outta 3rd in the 1/4 I would just jam it through first hittin about 5500 then into 2nd till about 5300 then just go with 3rd the rest of the way depending

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
soup said:
try not to burn out, youll loose time, i would shift at about 5grand - 5500 but that was with my old z depends on what you feel comfortable with. Dont want to ruin anything. I never got outta 3rd in the 1/4 I would just jam it through first hittin about 5500 then into 2nd till about 5300 then just go with 3rd the rest of the way depending
taking first to 5500 sounds painful in my head lol, i have no power after 4300 rpms only gear i can hold out on is 3rd and i can take it to 70.

·
Registered
366 Posts
if i had tired with any tread on them, first gear would be my best gear, but instead 2nd, pulls the most, and my 3rd gear can last til like 77-80, 3.1 1994 z 5 spd, im going to the track this friday myself to race my friend, hopefully we go up against eachother but most likely not, anyways i wish i had new tires before i went...

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
i have hit 75 -80 in second but usually it goes till about 65 then i drop it into 3rd

3rd is my favorite gear!!!

i have gotten to 110 in 3rd then 118 in 4th and thats when the limiter set in

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
88cavalierz24 said:
how the f*$# can u do that, or is it just my motor ? i had 2nd to 50 once and she felt like shit.
the z did it without even thinking about it ;) maybe its your car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.