J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation on exhaust setup for my car, the rattling catalytic converter that only barely let me pass the emissions test needs to go. But the original exhaust system is just too rusty to stay, so I figure I should just replace the whole exhaust setup.

First of all I really don't want it to be too loud, I need to hear my music.
What I had in mind, was 2in stock size piping(crush bend), Magnaflow cat, maybe Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.

I'm hoping that it would only be a little bit louder than stock. Also any recommendation will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the 2 inch will be fine but try n get mandrel bent flows much better the mufler choice should be good as well but i'd use a magnaflo to get a deeper more rich but not that loud of a sound.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
just have a muffler shop replace it with all stock stuff.. :lol:

a 2.2 dosen't flow enough exhaust to need a hi-flow.. you'll just make it louder. the superturbo is a good muffler but 'd just have the shop put on the house "turbo" muffler.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm figure that if I wanna get the exhaust done might as well get it done right. Also trying to get the best mileage I can get, as you can tell by my registry. Oh and I suggested the turbo muffler because I asked last year and that what you guys recommended.

Oh and any idea on the pricing for installation, so I can budget accordingly.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
The only muffler i'd put on a 2.2L is a turbocharger. It'll muffle the exhaust quite a bit and give you much more power then any "exhaust system". :lol:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
proably about 90 for a cat magnaflo/cheapest u will find as far as i kno, i had one on my v6 but they're uiversal as well as performance!! Usually if you look around a bit at different shops u should be able to get them to bend up some exhaust pipe quite cheap but hard to say what price maby 50-70 mani to cat, 60-90 cat to muffler most good exhaust shops around here all use mandrel benders and are still very cheap and have good quality!

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
You can use the factory V6 tubing from the cat back. Its the same shape, but bigger. If you're going to replace the system, you should at least get a header. The stock manifold is pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I forget that I have a fairly new stock muffler from a previous cavalier parts, thats just sitting in the shed.
Still on the fence on the headers, if I were to go with headers they would be the OBX header, which is suppose to be low end I believe. If I can't find a header for a good price then I won't bother with that and invest in other sections of the car.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
cahilj said:
You can use the factory V6 tubing from the cat back. Its the same shape, but bigger. If you're going to replace the system, you should at least get a header. The stock manifold is pretty restrictive.
the V6 exhaust for the '92-94 is 2", same as the 4cyl. :)

'91 V6's had 2" as well with the old style gas tank.

'88-90 had 2.25" with the 13.6 tank as well.

Just take it to a shop and get estimates.. some places have pre-bent tubes that they just throw on, simple as can be.. others bend them per car.. either way expect over $100.

·
Registered
179 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
cahilj said:

Just take it to a shop and get estimates.. some places have pre-bent tubes that they just throw on, simple as can be.. others bend them per car.. either way expect over $100.
My 90 V6 has 2" from the cat back, which is the stock exhaust.

Pre-bent piping, I litterally just did this in my driveway, an acetalin torch to get the old one off the cat. The piping itself was only 26 dollars CDN, but it would of been half an hour labor at a shop.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
lazarus said:
whitelightning2 said:
cahilj said:

Pre-bent piping, I litterally just did this in my driveway, an acetalin torch to get the old one off the cat. The piping itself was only 26 dollars CDN, but it would of been half an hour labor at a shop.
if only they charged you like that here. It doesnt matter it it takes 15mins or 59mins. They'll charge you thier shop rate for an hours work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
benz88 said:
lazarus said:
whitelightning2 said:
cahilj said:

if only they charged you like that here. It doesnt matter it it takes 15mins or 59mins. They'll charge you thier shop rate for an hours work.
:O They charge you for an hours work!? "Real" shops here do that, but if I need some help I'll go to an idependent mechanic, they usually charge you half and hour for a half an hour job.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
lazarus said:
whitelightning2 said:
cahilj said:

pretty strange, all the '90 V6's i've ever seen (and that's alot) had 2.25" stock, same with the 89's and the few '88's. It's even listed directly from GM that they came that way.

We actually bought a pre-bent pipe for a '88-90 V6 and put it on Abob's '90 Sunbird vert.. it was 2.25" as well. I've got pics of it somewhere next to his stock 2" pipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.