J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together my girls engine and we bought a whole crankshaft kit from autozone. It came with the crank, main and rod bearings and a plasticgage. Can anyone tell me the spec for the main bearing clearance. Cuz i put the crank in after i plasticgaged it and i couldnt find specs for the clearance anywhere!! so i just put the caps back on and tightened them down but the crank binded up and wont spin, so my guess is that the bearings that came with the crank are the wrong ones.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ok according to Haynes the main bearing oil clearence for 1987 and earlier--0.0016 to0.0032 inch,for 1988 and 1989--0.0012 to 0.0027,and for 1990 and later--0.0012 to 0.0030,these are for 2.8 and 3.1 liter engines.You didn t say what your engine was so i assume thats what you re looking for,if not i have the specs for 1.8,2.0,2.2 liter OHV four cylinder engines.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry,didn t see that you did say what engine size,didn t notice it.Haynes doesn t have anything listed in the manual that i have for a 2.4.I would think that it is a newer engine and my manual only goes to 1994.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a haynes and it doesnt say.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so [email protected]!!! o got 0.076 on her clearance when i plasticgaged it. So the wrong bearings cam with the crank kit.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
no problem on the specs... if i were you i'd cause a seen....HOW THE FK DO YOU SELL A CRANK KIT WITH THE WRONG BEARINGS????? I made AZ pay for so many parts because of their fuck ups...... im tellin ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.