J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hye guys, got a couple questions for you. Well the 3.1 in my cav is going to die any week now, I lost the rings on the 2nd cylinder but I still have to drive the car like this because I can't afford the down time of not having a car. So needless to say the engine is beating it's self to death. I have a spare 2.8 engine with about 260,000km on it and it has bad oil seals I think because after it runs for ~30 minutes the oil presure drops off. So to my question, is it worth rebuilding the 2.8 with a 3400 top end and what would I have to do to the engine to make that 2.8 a 3.1? Or is it even worth rebuilding at all, should I just buy an already built motor with a 3400 and drop that in instead? Hope this post wasn't to confusing I am kinda in a rush right now.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
if you already have the enigne why spend the money to buy another? if you ca nrebuild it thats great, i mean it wont take much to get it back up to par. I say go with the 2.8 rebuild this way is pretty much a drop in job ;)

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Rebuild your 2.8 back to stock specs. (cheap and fast and it sounds like you need this engine quick) Just go buy an engine kit and replace all the seals and such in one fell swoop. Drop it in and drive it. Now take the tired ass 3.1 and now that you have nothing but time on your hands build that up to the performance monster your wanting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.