J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Sell one or the other and buy another one that matches teh impedance of teh one you keep, also making sure that your amp will run teh final impedance when done.

Acoustically you can't mix different impedances, one sub will get half teh power of the other, and sounds poor at best.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
...or if you can't afford a new sub, and just wanna live with what you got for now (but you really should get a matching sub, like he said), then wire the two voice coils on the DVC sub in parallel and then wire that in series with the other sub to get a totel impedance of 4 ohms

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
wemet said:
...or if you can't afford a new sub, and just wanna live with what you got for now (but you really should get a matching sub, like he said), then wire the two voice coils on the DVC sub in parallel and then wire that in series with the other sub to get a totel impedance of 4 ohms
Worst thing you could ever do.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
the_raven said:
wemet said:
Worst thing you could ever do.
how come?

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Has to do with inductance, as you wires coil in parallel and series the inductance changes and will also change phasing (delay) that each cone will move. There is no good way to run subs of different impedances together.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i phoned the local stereo shop and they gave me a wiring diagram on how to wire it to a 3-ohm load...i'll try and explain if anyone wants

it works, works well, VERY loud esp. for 2 tens, doesnt seem to be out of sync, and if it is it is very minutely out of sync

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.