J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2 things come up recently and I can't figure out what it is exactly:

1. Whenever i start my car after it has sat overnight it almost stalls while im backing out of my driveway, but i just give it some gas and it is ok. I'm thinking it could be a vaccum leak, or maybe my throttle body just needs cleaned. also:

2. My oil pressure is really good until i have been driving about 10-15 mins. It stays good whenever I am actually moving but when I am stopped at a stoplight the oil pressure goes down to nothing for a second and then comes up a little, and my check gauges light comes on. It keeps doing this so I have to put it in neutral and give it a little gas to keep the pressure. I am thinking this is something to do with the oil pump, but it works fine when the car is idling in park and when i am driving.

If anyone has any ideas anout these problems it would be greatly appreciated. It is an 88 Z24, and has been running great except for these 2 problems which have been happening recently. Last night i raced a 2001 firebird gt on the way home from work and left it in the dust! =P it's true, don't ask how cuz i dont know either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For your idle problem, I would try cleaning the throttle body. Even if it doesnt solve the problem, it wouldn't hurt to clean it anyways. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Problem one definately sounds like your TB just needs a good cleaning. My car does the same thing when the TB gets dirty. Instructions in the how-to section.

Problem two: You have checked your oil level right? Could just be the sending unit going bad. Its fairly cheap, and is located near the oil filter. To find out if its the pump, or something else, you need to have a manual guage hooked up to get a pressure reading. Probably need to go to a mechanic for that, but my bet is on the sending unit.

Oh, and about you racing the firechicken. One, he must have not actually been racing, or a really bad driver with a manual, and two GT isn't a Firebird trimline You get Formula, Trans Am ( drool... ), and if your really lucky, the Firehawk ( even more drool... ). Even a V6 Firebird will take a Z24. Sorry to burst your bubble

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was some guy and his girl at a stoplight and they asked me if i wanted to race. so he just must have been a really #$%^& driver

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would I go about testing the sending unit?? I have the service manual but it doesn't mention anything about it

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The sending unit could be tested in the same manor as I mentioned above, with the mechanical oil pressure guage. See if the readings on the guage are matching those in your car. If the pressure on the dash guage drops to zero, but the mechanical gauge doesnt, it is the sender unit thats bad.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i can beat v6 firbirds!!! not a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.