J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats everyone doing about the problem? It seems lately alot of people are having problems with thier older second gens rusting out, floors, wheel wells, rockers,.....

has anyone had thier 2nd gen for a long time and taken steps to prevent the water leaking and rusting problems with these cars??? how has it worked out so far? what did you do?

G

·
so far i had to 1. fix the top of the tail lights (outers) that were rusted so bad that water leaked into my trunk, 2. had to put new metal in my wheel wells, and now 3, i think my floor is going! , all i done was clean up the rust, put new metal in and rock guard the fuck outta it.......

· Registered
130 Posts
my doors are rusted bad. i'm just going to find some new ones at the junk yard.
Yup. That's my problem, too. Weather stripping's gone. You'd think there was a better solution than weather stripping that will just get dried out in the sun and crack, break, and rot away. It's a convertible, it's gonna be in the sun :roll:

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
has anyone tried to do anything to PREVENT the rust in the first place? :) if so, how lucky have you been so far? sounds like so far alot of people havent been too lucky hehe

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I thought I was doing pretty good with my sunbird gt. Had rust in the common places but nothing unusual. But I guess I hadn't been under it in a long while, cause I found a big hole in the frame, right behind the gas tank. Anyone know how to fix that? Didn't think it was an easy task to weld the frame.

feavs
www.feavs.com

· Banned
544 Posts
im lucky enough to have a 1991 with very minimal rust. I have 3 spots the size of loonies on the windshield pillar. theres also a little bit of rust on the bottom inside of the doors, but nothing too visable.

good ways to prevent rust....

-Fill rock chips with touch-up paint (do it regularly!)
-get the car undercoated!!!
-wash inside the wheel wells every time you wash the car.
-periodically wash the underside of the car (its not that hard.)
-wipe down all door jambs after washing the car.
-wash the car in the winter regularly.
-polish, WAX WAX WAX WAX (wax forms the protective barrier on the paint, that way dirt doesnt stick to the car as easy)

keep the car ouside ALL the time in the winter... its a fact that the road salt does little damage if the temp is -10 or colder....if you get the car inside every night and it warms up, then thats when it can do damage. so if u drive the car regularly in winter, just leave it outside.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
I got to be one of the lucky ones that only has just begun forming a lil surface rust on the undersides of the doors. Will be fixed this winter when the new paint comes. Stripping the interior and having the whole thing painted....

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the reason im asking all this is because Ive been swapping new panels onto the car, to get rid of rust and dents etc, and I really want the car to last, .... Id like to have it painted soon but isnt it too cold in the winter for shops to be painting? or does it matter?? ... Once I have all the new panels on I want to get it oiled for sure, but was just looking for any other suggestions :)

· Registered
509 Posts
huh??? how can 91-94 j body rust at the floor? They'r galvanised? Its very hard to find a jbody without rust. Mine was always in care. I was happy to see NO FUCKING RUST on the car, floors like new, clean trunk... Thats the reason why she sleeps at winters :p

· Banned
544 Posts
just make sure you take care of the paint and underside of the car... and you shouldnt get any more rust.

I saw a product on some mechanic show... its a box you install on the car, and it produces a negative static charge on the car, so the rust will never spread... thats good if u have a little rust and dont want it to eat the entire car

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.