J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it with my 91 Cavalier. It has the 2.2. I decided the I need a new car after my friend in his 98 Nissan 200sx se beat me in a drag race by about 3 car lengths. All he has on it is a 2 1/4 inch full exhaust. Plus about 200 pounds of sound equipment and subs in his trunk. Well, if a 115hp import beats me, after I put 4,000 US dollars into my car doesn't make me feel to good. I want to buy a new Z24. I don't personally like the 2002 LS Sport because the ecotech makes 140 hp and 151 ft. lbs of torque. Less than the 2.4 Twin cam. I just want get some opinions on what I should get. Does anyone else feel unhappy with the 2.2?

[ This Message was edited by: larrendeuce on 2001-11-01 21:30 ]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well, no offence but buyiing a 91 Cavalier with a 2.2L and then investing $4000 into it and expecting it to be fast, is, well how can I put this, STUPID (no offence) $4000 in a 2.2L ??? Thats crazy. Why didnt you get a nice Z24 with a 3.1L V6?? Frankly, you shouldnt expect any 4cyl thats over 8 years old (except the Quad4) to perform good. Why you would invest that much money into a 4cyl I dont understand. Well, I guess youll have your reasons, but personally I dont see them.
By the way, dont get a New Z24 unless your gonna modify it heavily. Cause they like Cockroaches, their EVERYwhere, unlike pre-95 Z24, which look better and are'nt found everywhere.

-John

PS: I didnt mean to insult you, its just that what you posted just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe im the only one, but thats the way I see it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can explain. It was my first car for one. My cousin gave it to me who bought it brand new. I drove it once then the transmision decided it doesn't want to work anymore. 1300 dollars and one rebuilt transmission later I was driving again. Then it needed upper and lower radiator hoses, and a heater hose. One Blizzard and almost bald front tires = my accident. That is where most of the money goes, into the repair. I had to get dealer parts because all the junkyards in my area had cavaliers with smashed front ends. Then my friend found a performance shop and I got into car mods. Check my registry entry. What I did to it was used more for an education then anything else. Lastly by 4 grand I mean every repair and mod I did right down to the paint I bought for the interior. The sound system can be switched out so thats not a waste.
I am keeping the car as a project though. I'll also need something to drive when the new car is getting exhaust and engine work done to it, and I still might build it up with a new V6.

Now as for what I might get as a new car I want a Cavalier because I can work on them, and the price is right. I just need to know that ups and downs of the different gens.

[ This Message was edited by: larrendeuce on 2001-11-02 03:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: larrendeuce on 2001-11-02 03:23 ]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey JhonnyG 1993 Cavalier RS 2.2 135,000 miles [email protected] in the 1/4 mile.Also Look at Scruffdoggs Cavalier. The 3.1 only produces 130-140 HP I think...... Moon would know. Your 91 2.2 is around 100 HP factory (Well that's what this book tells me) For $4000 what did you do? I have my MOTOR mods in the registry and spent no where near $4000. As for the new Cavalier's you will have the new 2.2 Ecotec motor, It produces almost the same power as the 2.4. Why not a 2.3 W41? You will lose low end tourque but if you build it and swap the tranny's It should work out nice.

isaacs93cavi

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well Isaac, it is possible to get 1/4 miles like that with the 2.2L, but hte 3.1LV6 has a lot more potential. I would not spend money modding older 4cyl (except 98+ ones)
If you would have modded the 3.1L you would get a lot more performance, a more reliable engine, and it sounds better too. Sure you can make any engine fast if you spend enough money in modds for it, but the V6 has more torque and 140hp in stock form than the 2.2L (almost double.

-John

PS: Nice ride by the way

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-11-02 09:27 ]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks JhonnyG. The 3.1 is reliable and a good motor, I had one in my 90 Beretta GT. Very quick. as for motor ideas what about the 140 hp 2.4? as apposed to the 3.1 140 hp. Think of weight.or the old quad 4's that came in the GTZ's? weren't they around 160-180 hp? just some ideas for the "91" Cavalier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The parts I got from the dealer to fix the damage were expensive, $300 for a headlight and blinker. $40 for a hubcap.(I have real wheels that have a center cap for the lugs) All new brakes cost $260. And Here is the running list of costs that I can think of:

-Flowmaster Muffler $100 with s&h
--Installation was $95
-Crome air cleaner style intake was $35
-K&N Filter was $50
-Bosch Plugs $36
-Plug Wires were $30
-Bosch O2 Sensor $25
-Sound System adds up to $375
-Grant Steering Wheel was $125
-2 new front tires $115
-Radiator hoses and heater hose $31
-Rear trunk spoiler $60
-Cool blue headlight bulbs, and blue interior blubs $40
-All the paint adds up to about $80
-Rubber mats because the car leaks $50
-Shifter Knob $50
There is other stuff in my garage that I experimented with but is not on the car and stuff I forgot about
----Total of parts $3,197 -----

·
Registered
246 Posts
well the new ls sport has less hp but they say it is faster and a lot better motor

·
Registered
40 Posts
alright man i can see were you spent alot of money on rebuilding your car back after the wreck but i mean cmon man i had an esstimate on mine from a bad wreck and it was at about $4,000 but i went to a few junkyards found everything i needed, pretty much the whole front end cost me $250 dollars put it all together myself and it looks great cuz i looked around and didnt cave into to dealer parts. even found the same color parts, NO PAINT JOB. If i can do that anyone can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well just some bit of information to think about. For one the Z24 is definitely nice with the 2.4L engine making 150 horses. However like Badz24 has pointed out the LS Sport makes 140 horses. I don't know how much you've checked out what chevy did at this years SEMA show, but the made about 6 or so different concept cars. Some which will be used and some won't. If you check out the drag cars they made they are all using the 2.2 mated to some sort of forced induction. So I think they both have there pluses and minuses. The 2.2 makes less initial horsepower from the factory, but can be modded pretty heavily, Also I wouldn't be surprised if GM eventually switches over to this engine. Another thing is that SEMA is used to attract other aftermarket companies to make parts for different cars. So hopefully some more companies will make parts for the 3rd gens, and especially for the new 2.2. The 2.4 on the other hand makes more initial horsepower, has been out for quite a few years now, and most of the companies have been established for modding the 2.4L. Personally if it was my choice I think I would go with the 2.2 ecotech. Oh well, have fun checking it out. I would suggest you check out some forums on j-body.org, view the SEMA gallery if you haven't already, and of course the ultimate decision will come with test driving both cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the few performance mods I have done to my car I feel almost no difference. I figure whenever it does feel faster its psychosematic. However it is without a doubt faster in the first 10 minutes or so of a cold start. Not sure why, usually when a car warms up it gets everything running properly. As for my 2.2 I want to mod it any all that good stuff but I'm skeptical if I will see any true performance increases from it. I had a cam from mantapart and a computer chip from superchips in mind. I also have an intake manifold, injectors, and throttle body off a fuel injected car. I thought about a swap but I don't know what I'd have to change to get it to run propery.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Instead of making the same mistake that U did last time (buying an underpowered car, and then spending $3000 in mods to make it fast) go buy something good to begin with, not another 2.2L. SPend the extra $$ and get sometihing good to start of with.

Just my $0.02

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
parmentierbomb: dont be a meathead. Just because it's a bigger engine with 2 more cylanders doesn't mean anything. I just had a massive argument with my friends about this. Four bangers are getting better and better. Look at the S2000. 120 horses per liter 2 liter four banger pumping out 240hp. That will KILL the V6 Even the newer STOCK z24s with the 2.4 will beat a STOCK 3.1. The 2.2 Ecotec will beat a 3.1 too. AND it uses less gas!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah, they call this "advancement in technology"
Just imagine what a 3rd. gen. cavalier could do if they applied that 4cyl. techology to a V6. Im guessing at least 200HP.
YOu cant compare old+new, since when the 3.1L was new, almost no 4cyl. could beat it.
I just prefer the 6Cyl. because it has more torque, which is better for everyday driving, and I like the V6's exhaust sound better than the 4 cyl.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
How could a 2.2 ecotec with 140 HP and 150 lb-ft of torque beat a 3.1 with the same HP but 35 lb-ft more of torque? I'm still skeptical about that. The weight difference between the two cars is negligeable...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think what that will come down to is cost. an old cavi with a 3.1 is alot less then a new cavi with a 2.2 even if the new cavi has more potential a ton more can be done to the 3.1 for the same price.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just bought a cav 2.2L. Is it stupid of me to do many engine mods instead of buying the Z24 in the first place?? Or what mods should I do first. This is my frist Cav so bare with me guys..Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well if you enjoy a little bit of extra performance and sound then by all means mod it. If you are into racing hardcore and wanted to use it on the track (or even street races) then the 2.4 or ecotec would have been the proper choice. The 2.2 has very little aftermarket beyond the basic intake and exhaust stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts