J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that still mod the 2.8/3.1's there is a group buy happening for some uim spacers. For complete/more information and to add yourself to the groupbuy you can go here and contact:
http://www.quadper4mance.com/v6spacer
[email protected]

Looking forward to this going through.

Thank you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For those of you who don't know what phenolic spacers are... they are great.

i have one that also acts as an adapter for my 2.3 HO mani on to my 2.4 ... and the phenolic material absorbs all the heat from the motor so the manifold stays much cooler...

i litterally drove my car for nearly 2 hours with final engine temp being around 200 degrees... the IDI cover was barely tolerable to touch, while the intake manifold was just barely warm at all...

i do recommend this modification!!

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
the temp of the manifold itself ya, but that doesnt mean the air going into the engine is any cooler :wink:

and since the IAT sensor is before the LIM, you cant measure the air temp before/after that spacer anyways

theres no intercoolering effect from it. its straight through hole, so how is that supposed to cool air? do you honestly think that small amount of surface area is some miracle material thats going to make any difference?

you could get the same, if not better, manifold cooling effect by doing a TB heater bypass and egr delete.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
They do keep the plenum cooler which may lower the runner temp by like 1 degree.. once the fuel and air get down through the heat soaked LIM into that hot ass intake port any cooling effect is going to be negated.

IMO the only good use for these is to install nitrous nozzles in.. DPN! :p

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are also good for those that need that extra lift of the intake for a certain charge pipe to clear a certain discharge/down pipe. :p

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
would also add a bit more volume to the intake kina the same as a high rise!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where'd everybody go? Like they fell off the face of the earth.. :-?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whitelightning2 said:
briannflintz24 said:
I might be interested in a set of these for the 3400.
iirc those are currently avaliable from the 60degreev6 store..

this thread was for the gen2 2.8/3.1 :wink:
Yea this is for us lonely MPFI's that have nothing due to the 3x00's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
they are of some use on a quad and a quad only because it doesn't have a LIM that's pretty much murder to the v6's. and where almost all of the the intake restriction comes from as well wich was adressed in the newer 3x00 series engines.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please read the whole thread and the links provided before making a negative comment. This thread is only for those interested and not bashing V6's intakes design.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not bashing them hell i owned one (and supercharged it). They're torque monsters but technically speaking the LIM makes the use of phenolic spacers almost completely pointless It's not the right mod for this motor in any way and would be IMO a waste of money and buyers beware. Which is relevant to thread about selling them.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you know what the material does? It separates the LIM from the UIM with a material that blocks 99% of the what would have been transfered heat. Buy doing this, it reduces the chances for KR and keeps the air denser that much longer. With a forced induction engine, there would be hardly any ill effect for performance. This idea would probably benefit your setup more than anybody elses setup since your SC sits right on top of the UIM.
Now if you installed this on a n/a 2.8/3.1MPFI then it might not be as beneficial as you'd want it to be, but this would be something I'd be giving a shot at over a $300.00 TB or $200 port job.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.