J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I have been seeing a lot of questions about 3.1L swaps so I am going to answer some of the general questions..

If you have a 2.8L.. a 3.1L is a direct bolt in, You just need to change over the egr valves...

As for getting a 3.1L it's self... The motor out of any year car, any modle car will fit into a cavi.. The blocks never changed. Thoughs motors came in everything. Pontiac 6000, Luminas, Berettas, Corsicas, Tempasts just to name a few..

If you have a 3 speed auto it will bolt up to a 3.1L..

If you are looking to get a used 3 speed auto you will need to match up the motor size to get the right stall speed for the torque converter, you'll need to make sure the shift rod is the same hieght and the TCC plug is the same colour as your old transmission.. (The TH125 was made from 82 right up till 2002.. The bolt patter for the bell housing never changed it's GM's standerd patter for all fwd cars)

It's late I have to be up in 4 hours so I think I'll stop this now.. anyone else wanna add something I am to tired..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
how can you tell your canadian eh! ;)
the Pontiac Tempest...

LOL.

the 3.1L code "T" came in numerous GM FWD cars... too many to list..

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but a 3.1 from a grand prix would not be a direct swap cuz the mounts are different.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
easye said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but a 3.1 from a grand prix would not be a direct swap cuz the mounts are different.
Who cares about the mounts, since the block is the same. ;)

Oh and to go from a 2.8 to a 3.1, you also need to retain the 2.8L throttle body and vacuum hose harness, to provide the vacuum actuated EGR with vacuum. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.