J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
A 3 angle valve job (the one that applies to cars, the sexual one sounds more interesting!) means the edge of each valve is ground three different ways or angles. It is ground so that the valve seats better when closed and gases flow better over the angled surface when open. It increases the flow when the valve is open and results in a better seal when closed. I have also heard of a 5 angle valve job, but I'm not sure the difference is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
dave3156 said:
A 3 angle valve job (the one that applies to cars, the sexual one sounds more interesting!) means the edge of each valve is ground three different ways or angles. It is ground so that the valve seats better when closed and gases flow better over the angled surface when open. It increases the flow when the valve is open and results in a better seal when closed. I have also heard of a 5 angle valve job, but I'm not sure the difference is worth the extra cost.
close... The valve isn't actualy ground only the seat is.. The seat is usualy ground at 15 , 45 and 60 degree angles.. when the air passes by the valve seat with a 3 angle grind on it the air flows more freely over the more rounded edge.. this promots better flow into and out of the cylinders thus helping performace and better breathing..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would think that you want to give them both complete heads. Let them tear them down, grind the valves, intall new seals, springs and retainers. They can also check everything over to make sure its ready to go. It will cost around $150, maybe more.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Quinker; A lot of times it is the valve, not the valve seat, sometimes it's both. ;)

As for price, I was quoted $80/head for a V6, this was a 3 angle valve grind, not a 3 angle valve seat grind ;)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
the_raven said:
Quinker; A lot of times it is the valve, not the valve seat, sometimes it's both. ;)

As for price, I was quoted $80/head for a V6, this was a 3 angle valve grind, not a 3 angle valve seat grind ;)
oops... yeah you are right valves can be done to.. I should really stop making posts when I am overly tired..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.