J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, not sure how many will remember me but i used to have a red and a charcoal z24, anywho, i made a post a while back about a grand marquis i'm turning into a hot rod, well finally got some progress on it, i was going to take the factory lopo and just turn it into an HO with some goodies but i went a bit further.... its now going to be a 4barrel 347 stroker with a mustang t-5, i got the block work done and the stroker kit, just need to start assembling after i notch the block for the stroker rods and crank! here's a bunch of pics! (the first few are of the stock crank before i changed my mind, reason being the first set of pistons and rods i got for free were no good, so why replace when you can upgrade!)

i figure realistically between starting a computer business with my uncle, my full time job, and life.... i should have it running by summer next year, finances being the only drawback.....

Nick

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics of the pistons, the kit came in pieces so i had to assemble the pistons, man these things were tedious, since the rods aren't press fit onto the wrist pins they came with spring clips coiled 3 times over that hold the wrist pin in place.

more to come tomorrow when i swap the stock crank with the stroker crank in prep of notching the block

Nick

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i decided to go with a t-5 because i got it cheap and the aod that was in the car fried 2nd gear due to a worn tv bushing. Even a refreshed aod would most likely fry with a 347 in front of it. plus its not done very often at all on these cars so i wanted to do something different. a decent c4 or c6 would cost much much more than what i got the whole t-5 setup for.

Nick

· Registered
4,510 Posts
T5's are great but i think you might have an issue. that thing's gonna shell out in no time if you race the car at all, as heavy as the car is. might look into a TKO500/600, or even a T56. i'm planning on going straight to a T56 in my 94 gt, when i need it, TKO's can hold some power but from what ive heard they shift like crap. i love the buttery smoothness of my T5, coming from an HM282 in the sunbird, so i won't sacrifice that to go back to a notchy trans :p

· Registered
2,425 Posts
I would use a tranny from a Peel P50, they use 3 speed manuals that are maybe 10lbs with fluid :lol: They are amazing transmissions that were made during the 60s just don't get in a situation where you need to backup.

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
v6bluebird said:
T5's are great but i think you might have an issue. that thing's gonna shell out in no time if you race the car at all, as heavy as the car is. might look into a TKO500/600, or even a T56. i'm planning on going straight to a T56 in my 94 gt, when i need it, TKO's can hold some power but from what ive heard they shift like crap. i love the buttery smoothness of my T5, coming from an HM282 in the sunbird, so i won't sacrifice that to go back to a notchy trans :p
exactly what i was thinking.. a heavy car + lots of power is just going to murder that trans if it's raced or lightly abused.

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i won't be racing the car, its going to get a set of 4.30's with a 28 inch tall tire in the rear, less stress on the trans and still highway worthy, one of my co-workers was running that same setup and he was hitting the traps at 120 in 4th gear in a mustang. if i do happen to lunch the trans i'll save up and get the world class t-5 or the 6 speed, whichever is i can find at a reasonable price, as for the heads on this car i decided to go with the AFR 185's, that head seems to be the midlevel choice to make some good numbers with a 347, the cam is going to be somewhere around the .580 inch lift range, the average output on that combo is around 460-500hp with a holley 750 double pumper

Nick

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the weird thing is that my co-workers stang had a factory t-5 in his and he was running a 347 with a 100shot of nos and it held up to that abuse on the track launching at 4500rpm, so i should be ok for a little while as long as i don't beat the piss out of it, more than likely i'll be taking it easy for a while anyway because for 1 thing, i never had a vehicle with that kind of power and 2 i want to do a rear disc brake swap before i start testing out the speed and acceleration on that car. that big boat is not easy to stop at speed with drums in the rear, lol

Nick

· Registered
4,510 Posts
yeah that trans is gonna blow up eventually. any t5 will, and third will probably go first. only way a T5 will hold and be reliable is gonna be with one of the heavy duty rebuilds like the A5 kit.

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'll probably go that route then, a set of gears and blocking rings would be much cheaper than a new trans unless i find one used. but for now i'll stick with what i have, i did find another guy that has a older foxbody with a 351 and factory t-5 and he said his is holding up fine too.... he runs mid 11's i'm beginning to think is how the trans was abused. if someone with a 351C can run a factory t-5 i should get some time/fun out of mine

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys, bringing a post back from the dead! i'm glad you guys are still here! i did end up getting this build done but i am still working on it. many many many many hours into it along with having to put it aside for months at a time but here are some pics of the build!

Ignore Mom standing in the way, this is the first start-up after getting the fuel pump and timing setup right. i did have a slight issue with the auto choke on the carb (reason for high idle) but it was fixed after a little while

a short video of the first drive under its own power with the 5 speed conversion

Enjoy!

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she's almost ready to make some smokey burnouts! :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/S9U0E6YRl3o</URL>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.