J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any recipes for particularly a 3400. i know you can run the ls6 valve springs and all, but are there any other need to knows?

who makes a good head gasket?

is it worth getting a hotter cam for it in real world driving?

stock crank yea or nea?

forged pistons? are they good or worth upgrading?

62 or 65 mm TB?

i'm needing some information, but i can't get the right answers from the websites i've been surfing...

thanx :)

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
your right on the ls6 springs, those are needed for n/a or boost at the higher rpm's

you should be able to survive on stock internals otherwise (unless if your looking for some insane n/a power, but at that point you might as well go forced induction anyways lol)

for the TB, the bigger the better

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's going to be making stock horsepower... or something like that.. i'm not doing any power adders. but i do want a stout engine.

i kinda thought i'd be able to find something on building up a 60* like how you see all the how to's for small blocks and all.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone have any recomendations as far as going with crank, cam, pistons, rods?

whats something that oughta be replaced with aftermarket in a rebuild.

i read at 60degreev6.com about the cams... whats the opinon on that?

i'm open to any and all suggestions please

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whitelightning2 said:
if you are keeping it stock then there is no need to upgrade anything besides the valve springs.
ok, so the valve springs are a must? are the stock retainers good?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
sleeper said:
whitelightning2 said:
if you are keeping it stock then there is no need to upgrade anything besides the valve springs.
ok, so the valve springs are a must? are the stock retainers good?
yah, the retainers and locks are fine. Stock 3500 springs are an upgrade and you won't have to change out the valve seat/seal assembly..

with LS1 and LS6 springs you'll have to replace the seals and seats because they are slightly narrower.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, thank you WL, do you have any further recomendations? i want to build a strong engine, so all the weak parts need to be replaced. i'm going to make a shopping list of stuff.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
sleeper said:
ok, thank you WL, do you have any further recomendations? i want to build a strong engine, so all the weak parts need to be replaced. i'm going to make a shopping list of stuff.
that's pretty much it.. i'd replace the LIM gasket with the Felpro metal one, also replace the oil pump drive shaft Oring with the new brown one..

3x00's are fairly stout engines stock, it's when you start adding in things like cams and other junk that parts start to break.. lol

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so that'll bolt up to a 3400?

i read that i have to use the older style alertnator?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanx WL and scott, do you have any other be on the look outs or any helpful hints?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Getting a burnt chip that is meant to run that engine in your car will be beneficial. Scott makes a good chip he should have told you about :moon: . Otherwise I think Burn still makes them as well.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well if mr. scott could please tell me the benefits of his chip, i would appreciate it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.