J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching Berettaspeed.com yesterday and I was reading the 60°V6 performance section and I found this...

· Intake Manifold and Heads - Here you have a couple of choices, you can choose to have your current ones ported and polished, or you can upgrade to the intake manifold and heads off of a Gen 3 3100, or 3400 engine. Caution: if you have the 3t40 in your Beretta you should avoid a top end swap as the 3t40 requres a kick down which the 3rd gen throttle bodies do not have.

Is anyone familliar if my car would be a 3rd generation..., I've seen parts listed as 87-88 and 89-91 and 92-94 and 94-96... and i've also seen parts from 87-91 and others from 92-96 years...

My car has the 3 speed auto and I am seriously considering the the 3x00 swap... I'm more than 100% positive that my car has the 3t40 Tranny but what in the world does "the throttle body has a kick down that the 3rd generation throttle bodies do not have" mean...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
jakerooni said:
By the sounds of it their talking about the generation of the engine not the generation of the car.
No kidding Mr. Obvious. :p

He is asking the same thing I'd like to know, can an auto be used with a 3400 . . since they dont have a kick down plate that the older autos require.

-John

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
He is asking the same thing I'd like to know, can an auto be used with a 3400 . . since they dont have a kick down plate that the older autos require.
there are ways around everything. you just need to make a bracket and throttle linkage for the TV cable....

could be done.... just a bit of time involved.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
What Colin said, plus I'm sure I have seen a few that had kickdown cable attachment points, or maybe it was just cruise, but if the reason you don't swap over to the newer intake is because of the TV (Throttle Valve) cable, then you need to find a way to do it and prove people wrong. ;)

I had to change the linkage on my TB to use my factory throttle cable on my truck, if I had an auto it would have been way more involved for the bracketry, but not much more. ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
z24_ss said:
What auto tranny do the Z's have? I'm worried :-?
TH 125, but you still may have to make a bracket for a kickdown. But that shouldn't be hard. :p
That or he'll have me and my insane booger welding, grinder loving ass do it for him. Or we'll call in my pops, he gots skilz!!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
johnyg said:
jakerooni said:
By the sounds of it their talking about the generation of the engine not the generation of the car.

-John
Actually, I'm asking if the top end swap is possible with the auto tranny...

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
johnyg said:
jakerooni said:

-John
Actually, I'm asking if the top end swap is possible with the auto tranny, not the whole engine.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
91berettagt said:
johnyg said:
jakerooni said:

-John
Actually, I'm asking if the top end swap is possible with the auto tranny, not the whole engine.
Topend swap, 3400 swap, same shit:)

-John

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
99blkx said:
whitelightning2 said:
z24_ss said:
What auto tranny do the Z's have? I'm worried :-?
TH 125, but you still may have to make a bracket for a kickdown. But that shouldn't be hard. :p
That or he'll have me and my insane booger welding, grinder loving ass do it for him. Or we'll call in my pops, he gots skilz!!
No doubt...Guess I'm gonna have to include daddy hobson in this project :(

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok then fine, past the sarcasm... what in the hell is a kickdown?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
the "kickdown" cable, technical term Throttle valve cable is a cable that attached to the throttlebody on one end and the throttle valve located inside your automatic transmission on the other end. My guess as to why the new ones do not have this cable is because their transmission is electronically controlled (usually designated with an "E" on the end of the model number) which would use electronics to determine and perform the "kickdown" when appropriate.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
you still didnt describe it to him though chris.... :nono:

T.V. cable or "kickdown" cable is for when you are cruising and you step into the accelerator, lets say your cruising the streets and you are next to this POS honda. and the kid is an idiot and thinks he can take a z24...
so you both go from a roll... your cruising in 3rd gear right now right... ok. but to get the most out of hte power the transmission needs to downshift. when you step into the gas, the TV cable is attached to the throttle body. so when you open the throttle wide open. the cable gets pulled, which pulls open the Throttle Valve which "kicks" down the transmission out of the gear you were in into a lower gear(depends on how fast you are cruising which gear gets selected) and then are able to accelerate..

IF you didnt have this cable or valve. well when you go to step into it cruising you'd have no acceleration. as youd be stuck in the same gear. would be like trying to race someone while staying in 4th gear in a manual transmission car and not downshifting... pointless and wont do anything.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
v6h.o. said:
you still didnt describe it to him though chris.... :nono:

T.V. cable or "kickdown" cable is for when you are cruising and you step into the accelerator, lets say your cruising the streets and you are next to this POS honda. and the kid is an idiot and thinks he can take a z24...
so you both go from a roll... your cruising in 3rd gear right now right... ok. but to get the most out of hte power the transmission needs to downshift. when you step into the gas, the TV cable is attached to the throttle body. so when you open the throttle wide open. the cable gets pulled, which pulls open the Throttle Valve which "kicks" down the transmission out of the gear you were in into a lower gear(depends on how fast you are cruising which gear gets selected) and then are able to accelerate..

IF you didnt have this cable or valve. well when you go to step into it cruising you'd have no acceleration. as youd be stuck in the same gear. would be like trying to race someone while staying in 4th gear in a manual transmission car and not downshifting... pointless and wont do anything.
but don't forget Colin, without a kickdown cable your car will not shift into the next gear until it hits the max shifting rpm. ie car won't shift until you hit 4x00 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Colin you forgot the other reason the TV cable is there......

Line pressure. ;)

As the cable is pulled tighter (open throttle farther) the line pressure in the valve body, goes up, to provide a firmer shift as well as hanging on to the gear longer.

Without the TV cable the tranny would actually shift sooner, do to the low line pressure on teh controlling side of the "servos" that controll how hard and when the tranny shifts. It's a long complicated thing that I can picture and just difficult to explain.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
he only asked about kickdown... if he cant understand that concept well... i didnt bother trying to go into detail about the stuff you just mentioned chris(s)

:p

didnt want to go into full on depth of the whole purpose as then i gotta explain other parts of the transmission and so on and so forth...

i need to start getting paid to answer all these questions day in and day out.... meh

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.