J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has/is anyone doing a 6 speed swap from the g6 gtp? just curuise what it all takes cause i will probally need a trans.(i did a v6 swap and am using the pontiac 4 cyl trans yes it fits if u cut out a hole in the trans for the starter to go :lol: ) and now that all the electrical crap is said and done i was thinkin of dropin a 34 or 3500 in it at the same time as the trans. does it take anymore work to put in the 3500?

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
No one has a functioning one that I know of.

Archie was fitting one to a fiero a while back, but he was running into a ton of issues.

It wont bolt up to the stock trans mount, the flywheel is an issue, and the shift cables would have to be figured out before it would work.

It is not just a bolt in affair unfortunately.

Brad

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I was going to rip the one out of the vibe at one point in time. Thought it would be a cool ass swap. Tons of 6 speeds out there you'd think 1 would be somewhat close enough to work with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jake the 6 speed out of a Vibe would be even worse to try and use than the G6 unit. The Vibe was a joint project between GM and Toyota, and something tells me the tranny stolen from the Celica GT-S comes nowhere close to even bolting up to a 660 block.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
bluecavi said:
Jake the 6 speed out of a Vibe would be even worse to try and use than the G6 unit. The Vibe was a joint project between GM and Toyota, and something tells me the tranny stolen from the Celica GT-S comes nowhere close to even bolting up to a 660 block.
Pish posh dan... pish posh.... a little duct tape and some jbweld and it's all set. Just saying there are pleanty of cars out there GM and non GM alike that came with 6 speeds. I'm sure something has to be somewhat close. Maybe a ford or Nissan 6 speed. Who the hell knows until the try to bolt the damn thing up

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
There are issues with the 3900 fitting in a j-body too.

If you have the cash and think you can do it.... knock your socks off.

Short list of issues with using the motor in our cars. (It would be great in someone got one running)

- Crank trigger
- Mounts
- Tuning
- Variable Intake
- Drive-by-wire TB

I know there are a few more. If you want to read more... check out www.60degreev6.com. There is a lot of info on the 3900's and the 6 speed if you look around on there.

Brad

·
Registered
931 Posts
You forgot to add Variable Valve Timing to the list.

Electronic TB isn't that big of a deal nor is the different crank trigger, as www.60degreev6.com store sells an external crank trigger and a TB adapter plate to bolt on a northstar throttle body or 5.3L TB.

Tuning isn't much of an issue either just tune it like how you would a 3400/3500 etc.

The VVT is possibly an issue, but Joseph locked the cam phaser with a rod so he just isn't running VVT now. The variable intake looks like it might be easy to rig up to an RPM switch, or the VVT 3500 intake manifold might bolt up it looks like it, and I think the heads are the same....

So you'd loose VVT and at worse variable intake too, but 3.9L is pretty nice too ;) Add a reground cam and headers and it would make a nice N/A beast.

·
Registered
111 Posts
we were goign to do the swap in my freinds cavy. we did a gtp swap. and we were going to do the 6 speed swap but we foudn out that they dont hold much power..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check out my thread on the 3900 swap posted above and you'll see what was done to overcome the incompatible issues. My cam is reground and the best position for it is 0 degrees which happens to be right at the max VVT setting where the cam is locked. The external 7x outfit has not been made for it yet to my knowledge since the mount is different than the 3500. My 6 speed is installed you can find out important info here:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078656.html

If you don't have tools to do custom work forget about the 6 spd unless you can pick up a Saturn Redline or Cobalt SS with the F35 5spd to get the axles from which will work in the 6 spd along with axles from the 03 up Saab 9-3 and 9-5 though lengths will probably be off from the Saab. The hydraulic system from the three GM cars will probably drop right in most of the cars here since they're front wheel drive. Much, much easier than for the Fiero.

Now if you could mosy over to the thread I've posted about my problem with data logging with the moates emulator I'd appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.