J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep the '89 convert z24 at vacation spot for only occasional use. Last run in July. No signs of problems. Went to start the car over Labor Day and she started up rough. Needed to keep foot to floor to keep her running. After she smoothed up a bit at idle , she would die as soon as I touched the accelerator. She would start and idle and then die each time I tried to drive. Added some gas line drying fluid in hopes that the gas was bad. Will not start now at all. Turns but does not even try to fire.
Engine light came on when it was running rough and "popping".
Injectors, fuel filter, pump, plugs, sensors.....

Car has 75k on it and cherry throughout.
Heard it might be a dozen different things. Hate to just start replacing parts . Thought you experts might be able to help.
Thanks for any help.

Was going to pick up service manual for the car. Comments I heard about Chilton and Haynes manuals was not good. Can pick up original Chev. CAv service manual....any suggestions.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
You should first check the code to see what caused the Check Engine light to come on.
Follow the directions in this thread; https://www.v6z24.com/howto/codes
Once you get the code (there may be more than one, so be sure to get all of them), post back what you find.

You might want to watch some videos on exactly what you will be doing. They may help you understand how it works.
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... clip+trick">https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gm+obd1+paper+clip+trick</LINK_TEXT>

You can get a service manual on ebay. Like this one, though you might find one in better shape, if you look
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-1989-Chev ... Sw5uxdZvPn">https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-1989-Chevrolet-Cavalier-Service-Manual-ST366-89/163837769006?hash=item26257df52e:g:0TcAAOSw5uxdZvPn</LINK_TEXT>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Butch,
Checked out the videos. Will need to wait until I get back to Ma. to check pull codes.
Plan to bid on the manual. I don't care how it looks as long as I can read it.
Enjoy the weekend.
Kevin 201-519-2206

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Put a voltmeter (multi meter) on it. What was the system voltage at when it was running? Low voltage can cause multiple issues. If system voltage is within spec then yeah check for codes and go from there. Remember, a particular code doesn't mean replace the "part". A lot of times, fretting and/or corrosion of terminals and improper pin fit can cause issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purchased the 89 Cav service manual on EBAY which should be arriving soon. Unfortunately the car is in Cape Cod and I spend most of the year down in NJ. Will have to wait for a couple of months to get back to the car. May have trouble pulling codes since I removed the battery to have it checked. If the car does not start, I will have no way of making the service engine light engage and retrieve fault codes.

I will check the connections around engine bay. It is very possible that corrosion due to lack of use and salt air have taken their toll on the connections.
Will keep you all posted on results......
Kevin 201-519-2206

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Beautiful car!

Once you get the book you'll see a lot of troubleshooting examples to help lead you in the right direction. Hopefully it is just a bad connection somewhere. Most sensors can be checked with a multimeter, so you will be able to tell (in a lot of cases) if one is bad or not.

Don't worry about the codes being wiped after unhooking the battery. Once you get it to crank again, if something is still wrong, it will log the code as long it is a problem OBD1 will store.

I strongly suggest getting a bottle of 3M silicone paste. When you check your connections, apply it to them before you plug them back in. It is also great for the slide pins on the front brake calipers. Good for spark plug wire connectors too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Butch,
Thanks. I will definitely pick that up and use it on all the connections.
Car is very , very nice. Picked it up from the dealership family after sitting in garage for years. Looked a mess initially covered with mildew and debris. Started cleaning it up and was amazed. Almost showroom inside and out. Some mice did eat some of the hood padding and the seat belt plastic supports are brittle , but other than that it looks beautiful. Keep it on Cape Cod to use on vacations, so it mainly sits .
May end up selling it eventually, too many cars to worry with.
I will keep you posted on my journey.
Kevin 201-519-2206

·
Registered
221 Posts
Butch what exactly is this silicone paste? I am initially skeptical that it serves as a good conductor. I would think silicone is more of an insulator. This issue reminds me of another product which is "dielectric grease". A lot of people mistakenly think this is a conductor to aid in electrical connections. I even saw a YouTube video to this effect. In fact dielectric grease is an insulator. That is why its most famous use is on spark plug wires. "Dielectric grease is often used to seal the connection between spark plugs and spark plug wires. Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion."

Here's another quote
"Silicone Dielectric Grease. Super Lube® Silicone Dielectric Grease is a NLGI Grade 2 non-curing silicone compound utilized for sealing, protecting and insulating electrical components and connectors. It is waterproof and protects against moisture and other contaminants in electrical connections."

If I want to minimize or prevent corrosion or oxidation on electical connections I use Oxgard. You can find it at Home Depot. I initially used it when connecting aluminum wire to copper wire in home situations. But is is a general use product to prevent oxidation. Maybe I misread what you intended Butch. But this is my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
docmart said:
Butch what exactly is this silicone paste?
Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion."

Super Lube® Silicone Dielectric Grease
The 3M is a pure silicone dielectric grease. I use it for wiring connectors, brake caliper pins, rubber o-rings, suspension bushings, as a conditioner on rubber parts, etc.

Super Lube has fine metal oxide powder blended in it for thermal transfer. I use it as a Thermal Paste on the back of an ICM when building coil packs. I've use Arctic Silver 5 for this too, but Super Lube does pretty much the same thing and is far less expensive than Arctic Silver. On coil packs, I use the 3M on the terminals and connectors.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.