J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the AC in my car working. I have a new compressor, drier accumulator, and orifice tube. I'm going to buy a vacuum pump and line set to try and do this correctly. I also purchased AC flush and the bottle. I'm going to flush the hard lines and the evaporator core. Need to find a new condenser. It use to be a bunch on eBay but I'm only seeing them for 4 cylinder models. It looks the same but I'm not sure. Also was wondering if it was a good idea that I flush the compressor lines with the rubber hoses. Part numbers or a diagram would be nice as I also need manifold to compressor seals and seals from hardlines to evaporator. I do have an o-ring kit for 134a for various connections. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It gets hot sitting in that convertible in town with the sun beating on you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last year I restored my 87 Z24 after 25 yrs in storage. The AC was not working I attempted to get it work. After 25 yrs the ac still have 30 lbs in the system which indicated there is no leak, but it needed 40 lbs to close the low pressure switch. I charge it and it work for an hour than it blow the 25 amp fuse and left it along last year. I wanted to fix the ac this year because its too hot to drive without it. I found a short at the ac coil and a bad high pressure switch and connector. Instead of trying to replace the coil I replace the compressor, drier accumulator, and orifice tube. The entire system was flush out. I wanted to replace the condenser but cannot find anywhere. The ac worked for day or so, then the compressor kept on cycling on and off. At first thing that came into my mind low on Freon but gauge show 50lbs on the low and 70 lbs on high. The high pressure switch i got from amazon is bad or incorrect one. The switch was jumped out. The ac now works great I am getting 35-40 lbs on the low and 200 lbs on the high and it is not cycle off and on. The AC is blowing ice cold air.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Is your original condenser damaged? Often leaks can be closed by a shop that does radiators or A/C repairs. Bent fins can be straightened out too, with a comb make for the purpose.

Looking at the parts book, your 89 has a cast hose end. I believe? I think the 4cyl doesn't have that. Since RockAuto only shows the 4cyl one available, my guess is because they don't make one with the cast end anymore. In my 88's (a 4cyl and a 6) they are different.
My V6 has a cast hose end that bolts to its mate on the condenser. I don't don't think my 4cyl one had it. I believe it is around here in a box somewhere. If I happen to see it, I'll let you know for sure. Anyway, that is probably why only ones with the tube ends are still sold.
My 92 and 94's (v6 cars) have tube ends, yet they are not exactly the same. But it appears those cast ends of the earlier ones were dropped.

In a lot of cases, you can convert one to work by splicing the in/out tubes for ones made with the proper bends and fittings you need. As long as the condenser is about the same size and capacity. Mounting hardware might need to be changed. But even those could be easily fabricated, if need be. Probably get what you would need for that at Lowe's, etc.

Fill it by gauge pressures, not volume. Start out low. Adjust in small amounts as needed.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.