J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven my Z24 much due to window issues and have been working on another car a lot lately. But I need to figure out what to do with the butchered drivers door (passenger side is the same way but the window is still working) so I can get the window functional again. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Well, you've almost got it licked. You have to remove the motor, if that is the problem. However, I see you also need new rollers on the regulator arm ends. But even if the motor was still working and the rollers were binding keeping the window from moving, you should still replace the motor at this point. I mean you have the plate off, so put a new motor in it, along with the new rollers. I'd also put a new lock actuator in too. But on your design, it appears the actuator could probably be changed without removing the motor plate being removed.

ACDELCO 12497971 Window Motor.
Dorman Window Regulator Roller 74430 pack. You will need two packs per door, if you want to use the screw on type. The other two rollers in a pack peen on.
Here is a thread on how to peen them on. Works better than the screw on type, imo.
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/window ... 28626.html">https://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/window-regulator-roller-install-guide-t128626.html</LINK_TEXT>
I use 1/4" x 1/2" Aluminum rivets .25" round, .50" long (actual size of the rivets, not the 'grip'), head width is .50" for attaching the plate back on the door.
A Harbor Freight riveter:
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tool ... 66422.html">https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/fastening-tools/riveters/heavy-duty-17-1-2-half-inch-hand-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html</LINK_TEXT>

You'll need some smaller rivets for attaching the motor and lock actuators. I don't remember the sizes of them. You can probably get them at an Ace Hardware store though. Just take a motor and actuator with you to figure out the sizes you'll need for them. I should have wrote this all down when I did mine in both my 92 and 94 verts. Anyway, getting the smaller rivets locally wasn't much of a problem. It was the larger 1/4" ones that I had to order. I don't recall where I got them. I thought it was ebay though. I looked a minute ago and did not see any like I have. You can copy the picture and take it to a Fastenal store or contact a supplier online and email them a copy of the pic to match it up for you. I'm going to guess the grip on them is around 3/16". Whatever it is, these work perfectly, on Phase II plates, which might be thicker metal than yours appear to be????.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got the new rollers for the regulator itself, was doing some inspecting and found 2 more questions. On the front of the window is this yo-yo looking roller than I'm not sure if it serves a function or not. And then the roller at the rear of the window is gone, would it be the same as the rollers for the regulator itself? please ignore the leaves and debris in the bottom of the door I haven't cleaned it yet lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
I don't know about that roller. Mine (a 92 and 94) are not like that. They use rollers like in the Dorman package. Here are pictures of mine. If your regulators are the same, I suspect they too take the Dorman roller. May be that someone changed that one with whatever they could find? Hopefully someone with a Phase I will see this thread and offer more information.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.