J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me about 2 hours doing it by myself. Cost me $73.15 for the spindles and hubs, switched them, bled the brake lines and painted the calipers. Works perfectly, can't really tell too much of a difference but im sure it'll be there when I need it.

Going to get cross drilled rotors next, then I still have to see about my new motor.

Let me wash my car before I post pictures. Been awhile. :roll:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, there is a huge difference in braking. I noticed today. It feels like a much more smooth, controlled brake. If you have the time and money I suggest you do this how-to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm doing it to but I brembo slotted rotors, calipers, goodridge brake lines
and got pads from highrev but they sebt me the wrong year of pads :(
but as soon as I get the right pads every thing is going on :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've found one problem with the swap though. Front to rear braking bias becomes unmatched. In simpler terms, there's too much braking action up front and not enough in the rear. This is caused by the increased caliper piston diameter and contact surface, ie larger brakes.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ctimm_rs said:
I've found one problem with the swap though. Front to rear braking bias becomes unmatched. In simpler terms, there's too much braking action up front and not enough in the rear. This is caused by the increased caliper piston diameter and contact surface, ie larger brakes.
I noticed, but the way I see it with my 9.5" calipers didn't stop me well enough.

wooderson421 said:
all the work we put into making our cars faster then you wanna go and make it stop, brake when your dead. j/k bytheway
I did it for two reason really, I want to try slotted rotors and they don't make them for a 90 cavalier, and I needed to uphaul my entire system anyways, so I might as well have upgraded.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
ctimm_rs said:
Do the 92 to 94 J Body's have larger rear drums? Or do they have the same problem.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great question. If the 3rd gen drums are compatible with 88-91 cavaliers then I can swap my drums as well. If not, im not going to worry about buying 92-94 drums.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Actually Power Stop DOES make cross drilled and I believe also slotted rotors for the '82 to '91 J-body, same as L-body and a couple other cars. All a waste of money IMO, and yes I have used cross-drilled, I had much better and consistant braking using the factory rotors.

·
Registered
694 Posts
nemesis25 said:
ctimm_rs said:
Do the 92 to 94 J Body's have larger rear drums? Or do they have the same problem.
The rear drum brake dia. and components are same from 1982 - present. I think they have made a few revisions to the fastners/springs, but basically they're all the same.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the_raven said:
Actually Power Stop DOES make cross drilled and I believe also slotted rotors for the '82 to '91 J-body, same as L-body and a couple other cars. All a waste of money IMO, and yes I have used cross-drilled, I had much better and consistant braking using the factory rotors.
Really? hmm, thats interesting. Youre probably right though. If you think about it, holes in the rotors means decreased space on the rotor for the brake pads to touch, less braking capability? Would that be correct?

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
I'm not sure exactly why mine didn't inprove my braking, but to me with less pad area, it seems that braking ability is reduced, which it's supposed to be opposite, it should increas with the same pressure on less area, like a high power handling clutch, there is less surface area on the disc (pucks) to provide a harder grab.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, It does seem it should be that way. I guess there is far more physics involved than I can understand right now.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i'm glad I did it. It only cost $73, but I had access to free calipers, rotors and pads, I bought the spindles and hubs for really cheap from a junkyard and got a discount for working at a bodyshop down the street. My boss just gave my friend (thspoq on the org) a free 2.4 because he blew his 2.2. Bodyshops are a good place to work. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.