J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was playing around with a new scanner I got for my B-day, an Innova 5610 which is their top of the line scanner. I also have an Innova 3140d which comes with the OBD 1 cables and adapters that will also work with the 5610.

I hook the 5610 up and up pops 8 codes which are 13,14,21,23,24,32,33, and 42 which are the first 8 out of 12 codes this car can display.

The CEL is not on and the car still runs like it always does with no issues other than a rough idle in gear when warmed up which it has done for years.

I hook up my old AutoXray 6000 scanner which can read live data on these cars that both of these Innova scanners cannot. The 6000 shows no codes present.

I then hook up the 3140d and it shows the same 8 codes the 5610 did.

I decide to clean all of the grounds on the engine and frame and hook both of the Innova scanners back up and they still read the same 8 codes. I had unhooked the negative terminal on the battery for like an hour while cleaning grounds so it didn't erase them and I never started the car after cleaning the grounds. Both scanners would not let me clear the codes using the scanner.

Has anyone ever ran into anything like this before? I have not. Could there be a problem with the ECM that would make it display all of these codes but not cause any problems with how the car runs or not turn on the CEL which supposedly should turn on with any of these codes present.

Thanks for any ideas. Car is a 2.2L/auto.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I would start by checking the 5v ref, signal, and ground at the tps, egr, or map sensor. You have codes for most of the inputs on the car. I would also load test the ground. I don't have a diagram handy or the code list but I think a few codes are for high voltage so I would suspect a bad ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.