J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums, can't get a good answer. My problem is that the system is full of freon (original r12), the compressor doesn't kick in at all... I've narrowed it down to the compressor or clutch. Does anyone know what I can do to test it out? Like applying 12v to a trigger or something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
if the compressor isn't kicking on then you have a problem with your compressor clutch actuator (not sure if thats what it's called). either it's not getting power or or it's bad. what happens is that power goes to it and then it pulls the clutch tight against the compressor pulley which spins the compressor. if you have a test light you can se if you are getting power at the connector. If you have power at the connector you will need to replace the clutch actuator. if you have no power to the connector then check your fuses and i think there is also a relay. you'll have to get the wiring diagrams so you know what to look for.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also make sure you don't have a code 66 stored in the ECM because if you do, your compressor will not come on. The code 66 could be stored because the pressure switch is bad or if the system is low on refrigerant. The code 66 will not set off the check engine light.

Wayne

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
70monte said:
Also make sure you don't have a code 66 stored in the ECM because if you do, your compressor will not come on. The code 66 could be stored because the pressure switch is bad or if the system is low on refrigerant. The code 66 will not set off the check engine light.

Wayne
No codes stored at all... I'm looking to see which wires on the plug I need to fool with to see if the comp is actually still good...

I have the haynes manual, and yes it does list the wires, but I don't know if I ground or apply power to the wire? As of now2, the comp isn't kicking in, full of r12 (pressure tested ok, not perfect, but well within operational), no fuses blown. Maybe a cut wire? I dunno?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.