J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I got a leak in my 92's A/C system last fall. Today I decided to find the leak and repair it, recharge the system and hopefully enjoy having A/C in the car so I can drive it some this summer. After putting air in the system I began to spray soapy water around. I checked everything, including the hi and low ports ports. I found no leaks. So, I took the cap off the Factory fill port and sure enough, I saw signs of a leak. I blew it out and filled the port with water. As you can see in the video, there are bubbles coming up from it.

I don't think this port can be changed, as the base is welded to the hard line and the upper (which looked like 'might' come off) would not move with moderate pressure. I thought it best not to try and force it, as I think it is probably a one piece unit.

Anyway, can this be repaired? I don't think it has the normal Schrader valve, as I could not see one down in it.
Can it be filled with JB Weld or something?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I'll have another look tomorrow.

However, I think it is like the one pictured on the left (outlined in black). If so, then the whole piece does come out and is replaceable, if I can find one. The core alone can not be replaced on this type.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the correct valve.
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Service-Va ... FirstClass">https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Service-Valve-ACDelco-GM-Original-Equipment-15-5414/282551234474?epid=74557907&hash=item41c95dafaa:g:6wQAAOSwEm1a0l-X:sc:USPSFirstClass</LINK_TEXT>
It doesn't have a removable schrader valve like the hi and low service ports do.

I did fill the old one with JB Weld and put the cap back on last night. Hopefully that will seal it. I'll put air in it to test if the leaking has stopped, or not. I have a feeling the valve is probably sealed now. So if I still have a leak, it is likely somewhere other than that valve.

LOL, I see r134a has gone through the roof now that summer is here. Of course I'll not put any in, if there is still a leak. But hopefully this was the only one. Truthfully, I think I may have another one, because the pressure would drop quickly and the slight amount of bubbles in the valve leads me to believe that might not be the only one. Anyway, I'll know for sure in a little while.

I've put a new orifice tube in and have a new accumulator to put on, if the leak is fixed.

I'm leaving for a trip to NC tonight. I'm driving this car, A/C of not. But I really hope the leak is fixed now. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the 'real' leak. Don't know how I missed it yesterday. More concerned with the valves and lines and simply overlooked the pressure switch :roll:

Anyway, I've got one,,,, somewhere in my completely unorganized mess of parts. Probably have two of them. I've got to search now to see if I can find a new one locally.

Here is a video of it.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cavalier3400z said:
Just make sure you put a new dryer in not that you filled the system with air.
Yeah, I've got a new one already. But, there is still a leak somewhere. I'll have to find it when I get back from NC. Been wanting to look into this for weeks now, but just didn't have the time. I'll have to live with it for a bit longer :cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.