J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Yesterday I started hearing a hum coming from the engine. The hum starts at 1500 RPMs, and gets louder as the RPMs increase. It doesn't matter if the car is moving, still, or what gear (including neutral) that I'm in. I looked this morning, not really knowing what to look for, but there wasn't anyone to help me by pressing the gas while I was in front to tell what part of the engine the sound was coming from. While I was looking, I noticed a little hole (almost as big as a dime) on the underside of the rubber intake tube. The hole is about halfway between the filter and the throttle body. I didn't know if the hole is causing my hum, or if it's something else. I'm going to tape the hole tonight on the way home from work just to see if the humming stops or is unaffected.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you want to rev the engine while you're under the hood you don't need someone in the driver's seat. You can use the throttle control at the throttle body. Just move it back-and-forth to rev the engine. Then you might be able to find out where the noise is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Water Pump, PS pump and alternator are a couple things that will make a humming or whining sound when they are about to fail. Does it just get louder, or also go up in pitch as the revs go up?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My water pump didn't make any signs that it was about to die up until its actual death - the coolant sprayed all over the accessory belt is a dead giveaway. If that dies on you and you don't know how, I can probably help you out.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
My water pump started whining about 2 weeks before it died. It whined for a couple days, then it went away. 2 weeks later, coolant is spraying all over the engine compartment
They are pretty easy to replace though...

·
Registered
221 Posts
At least you had some warning. Luckily, they are easy to fix, and not that expensive either. I got a replacement for $25 with core charge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pitch seems to be constant, it just gets louder as the RPMs get higher.
Thanks for the hints, is there anyway to check any of those other than trying to listen to where it is coming from?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Just kinda gotta listen I guess, or wait till something goes out completely. I am not really sure of an easy way to test. Make sure your PS reservoir is full is one thing you could do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I taped the hole, but it didn't change anything. I checked the power steering fluid last night and it was a little low, not down to the add level yet. I added some anyways, but it still makes that noise.
I tried to listen to it with the hood open, but I couldn't really hear anything except for the exhaust while I was outside of the car.
I guess I just have to wait and see what it was.

Thanks for your ideas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.