J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Kenwood KDC-116S CD player for my 1990 Z24, and it works fin, except for one thing: Every time I start up my engine, the CD ejects, and all it's audio settings and radio station memory gets cleared. I'm 100% confident in my wiring, so I have no clue what could be the problem. Does anyone have any idea?

-
There is a partially uninstalled security system left in by the previous owner, I think. When a hidden switch is turned on, the car won't start. I've been told it cuts off the ignition coils power. I don't know if this could be a factor in my CD player not working, though.
-

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Does it do the same thing when you turn the key back to acc.?
It sounds like you may have the constant power wire and the accessory power wire switched, so that when you kill the car, the wire that is expecting constant power to keep the settings in memory isnt receiving power, as that power is going to the wire that only expects power when the car is running. When you start the car, all is fine because power is going to both these wires. Try switching the connections on the red and yellow wires and see what happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it only happens when I start the engine. Turning off the car, then using accessory power is fine. I'm sure my wiring is correct, I've rewired it several times and now I'm using a harness adapter.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-08-05 19:21 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, it definately sounds like you are losing power to the stereo for a moment when starting the car. Get yourself a multimeter, or test light. Check the power to the red and yellow wires while starting the car. See if there is a moment there when your constant power wire loses power. It is possible it could have something to do with that switch. If your constant power wire is losing power somewhere and you can't figure out why, try running a power wire straight from the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try any of that, though . Today my car quit working. Driving home, I noticed my voltage kept dropping and the lights kept getting dimmer. Now I have to boost the car every time I want to start it. It seems like either my alternator or battery is no good, and the radio problem was probably just a symptom of a failing electrical system.

I'll get that all fixed, then the radio should probably be working.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thats the contant power lead.. its wired wrong. that would kill your batt and then.. boom.. youve got a very low batt. easy answer: first disconnect batt and charge it. second take the cd player out and take a look at the wires (sometimes factory will screw up with the colouring of the wires and label stuff wrong) another thing you can do is take it to an audio store and ask them if the wiring off the cdplayer or harness is right. third is plug in the battery and make sure the cars running fine.. fourth then slowly hook up the cd player and see what works and what doesnt. and dont worry if you dont got a multi meter goto some type of auto store/big retail store and they should carry batterys and that means they have a multi meter. ask them to check the stuff for you.. hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the constant is NOT wired to a constant source. Although if your battery had a bad cell it will also do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts