J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to tell you all a story to make you think a little before you just JUMP into a race on the street. I was at a red light at the corner of Grand and Lincoln way in Ames IA, headed west. Sitting at a light in my Talon the first day I had my car, a guy I knew from the import scene in Des Moines Pulls up next to me in his new 95 Prelude he just got it that day as well. We decided to have a go at the green. Green popped and we were off, I had about 20 feet on him when we started pulling into a yellow light at Elwood Dr.(little over 1/4 mile) I started to brake but noticed he wasnt going to let off so just as the light turned red and I wasnt quite there yet I pulled 3rd gear back up and weaved around 2 cars making a right into the same lane as me so I had to jump to the left lane cutting my friend off. When I got to the next light about a half mile from where we started I noticed he wasnt behind me so I turned around. Back at that last intersection I saw his car mangled and upside down. Just as he followed me through he caught a Ford F-150 lightning in his drivers side at 45 MPH, he was gone before I got there. I proudly where a Prelude badge on the back of my Talon and my Cavi with his name on them. That is the kind of determination and persiverance that is to be admired in this sport, and wins races ON THE TRACK. Although we both made a bad decision that night, I just wanted to remind you all that this is a sport, its supposed to be fun. So lets keep it fun, but keep it safe. Dont be stupid and try to keep it on the track.

[ This Message was edited by: 1phatcav on 2001-12-04 09:05 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Scary stuff...

There was just a fatal accident on Lincoln Way this last Friday, at the corner of Welch
I don't think racing was involved, but I heard that witnesses say he was probably traveling about 50 mph, in a 30...
<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.iowastatedaily.com/vnews/dis ... ve=1">Read">http://www.iowastatedaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/12/03/3c0b06aac98df?in_archive=1">Read</LINK_TEXT></URL> the short Daily article...

·
Registered
679 Posts
sorry to hear about your friend. did you get in trouble for racing? or did anyone place you at the scene?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt have a license and and Iowa treats this like a drunk driving offense you go right to jail, so I spent 2 days in jail and 4 fines totalling around $1100. Two of them were dropped.
Leaving me with failure to obey traffic signals and a MASSIVE speeding ticket, which was bullshit because they didnt clock me, they just went by what witnesses said.

·
Registered
202 Posts
here's a webpage that shows you just what could happen if you dont take extreme care when driving at high speeds.

http://www.car-accidents.com

drive safe.

[ This Message was edited by: racerjim on 2001-12-04 20:44 ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts