J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in FL and am interested in adding a hood scoop to my 93. I haven't had problems with overheating but would like to install a scoop to keep the engine cooler. Summers hear can be brutal in temp. I would like to get the Camaro SS ram air scoop if possible. Does anyone know someone who sells just the scoops, and whether there are any neater scoops to install besides the SS ram air? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My last question is what would be the biggest size mandrel bent exhaust tubing i should get w/out being overkill? 2.25", 2.5", 3"?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
JCWhitney has a large selection of hood scoops Here
They have some that resemble the SS scoop, as well as some cool others.

As for exhaust, 2.25 should be fine for the stock engine. 2.5 is getting a bit large, and 3" would be way overkill

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sandmaster, your best bet for a truly functional scoop will be some kind of cowl induction scoop. This is where the opening of the scoop is near the windshield. This will actually be helped by going down the road and will transfer the heat of the engine much better than ramming it into the engine. From an aerodynamic point of view, the cowl is best for scavenging hot air out of the engine bay.
Ram air will ram the air into the engine compartment but still has a problem of removing it through the cluttered engine bay.
Just a suggestion and good luck in your decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts