J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have the option of purchasing a '93 Z24 for $4500 ($3000 US), and here mint condition '93 Z24s go for about $7500 ($5000 US). Now this one is white, and the body is in excellent condition, just perfect, and the engine starts a little rough but runs smoothly with a low 135 thousand kms on it. The rough start could just be that the injectors need to be cleaned. There is other damage to the car, some very minor, some medium. And that's what complicates it. Minor damage is the headlight mounts on the driver side are gone because obviously someone either kicked it, or he hit something, and the centerpiece with the chevy emblem is cracked off on the bottom (You can't see this from the outside, you have to look under the hood. It's still attached though and I'm sure I could pick one up from a wrecking yard really cheap, or atleast order it and it would be inexpensive. Also the power door lock on the passenger side is non-functioning, once again fairly cheap to fix and a minor problem. there is some tearing of apolstry in some areas of the interior but those could all be detailed without too much cost. There's a door handle cover on the inside of the drivers door that's missing, once again if you can still order one of those, they are just cheap pieces of plastic and could easily be replaced, could get one from a wrecking yard once again. Now this wasn't on an incredibly extensive look at the car either, just a fairly thorough look, the medium damage is the key entry on the driver's side door is ruined (No the car is not stolen but clearly someone tried to force open the door for something), so I would need to replace both door locks and the ignition key. And finally the fairly big damage is that there is obviously a fairly large leak somewhere on the passenger's side, and due to this there is a smell that is clearly from the water damage. If someone could give me an estimate of all this damage approx that would be good, but also I'm wondering if it's worth the risk, because when I asked if there was any damage the bastard said there was nothing wrong with it... So he could easily lie or not mention anything else that could be wrong with it. And I'd say those things are something, a lot of them may be minor but they're still damage. I didn't even take it for a test drive I was so disappointed I left, but on further thought, with the low mileage if what we saw there was all that's really wrong with it, then it might still be worth it if I could get him to take $3000 or even $3500 ($2000, $2175 US) that still could make it worth it. What do you guys think? Should I give it a more extensive lookover, test it out and try to get him to take less for it, and get all the problems with it fixed?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tell the guy you're going to test drive it, and take it to a mechanic and get an estimate on repairs. Ususally they'll give you a good idea of what's up with the car, because they think you're going to have them do the work. When you find out what is ALL wrong with the car, you need to assess whether or not this car is worth the headache. Your real concern should be: If the car is this messed up from a minimal look, how do you know how hard the car has been worked overall? That hard start may be dirty fuel injectors...or it could be that the guy has beat the car to shit. (Which is what it sounds like.) Save yourself a headache and take it to a mechanic for a professional opinion.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's a great idea, except my good Mechanic who won't make stuff up that's wrong with it, is here in Surrey where I live, the car is on Main st. Vancouver (45 mins away), plus I'm sure the guy'll want to come along for the test drive, and even if he doesn't and I take it to a mechanic near Main, in order to do a proper assessment of the car the guy'll need time to look it over, not an amount of time it would take for a test drive... So the only way is if he agreed to let me take it to my mechanic and get it checked over, and even so I'm thinking maybe to just forget about, it's prob not worth the worry. I have a feeling the guy doesn't even do basic maintainance like an oil change, so it's prob not too good even with it's low Kms...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The condition inside of the car also shows u how the owner took care of the car. I doubt if the inside is poorly mainainted that the changed the oil and oil filter regularily.

-John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts