J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Florida and I don't know how I missed all these water leaks last year, but its started the regular afternoon storming, and now we have a front sitting right offshore.

How in the heck do I find the leaks when I can maybe think about fixing them? As opposed to watching the water come in while driving down the road.

The usual spot in the first weather stripping joint in the convertible top, the front right corner under the dash, the driver's side is wet under the mat, now, but I'm short and never see water coming in while driving- plus that would be ridiculous, trying to search and drive.

Are there any common places that I could check, or is this a replace-all-weather-stripping-or-else type problem?

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
common places are the firewall and window seals. Take a garden hose and methodically go through one section at a time. The cowel usually gets crudded up with twigs and leaves and pluggs up and rust out. Definatly check there. and clear silicone is your freind when fixing them

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I've been looking through the long list of topics relating to water, and I'm fairly sure that the front passenger leak is due to a firewall issue, and probably the drivers side also. The leak in the rear passenger floorboard (the worst puddle) I guess I'll have to tear up the carpet to find.

My question now is- how do I fix the leaks around the tops of the windows?? Do I adjust the glass to fit against the convertible top, do I see if the rubber edging on the top can be replaced, or do I just accept those much smaller leaks?

The passenger side window is occassionally deciding not to go up all the way, so that I have to open the door and try again, and when I close it, the seal still isn't very good. I don't see that it is getting caught on anything, though. Still, with the windows up, that first joint in the top leaks fairly badly unto my lap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So like, i feel what you're saying, i've been battling with water also lately.. And the spots i found were as follows:

* a little hole right in the window wiper compartment on driver side above the firewall. I think it should be the drainage for the water that runs down the front window into the venting holes and I think there should be a rubber seal or a plug but mine didn't have one so all the water just came in. Looking from the inside the hole's located almost directly above the fuse box under the dash

* Floorpan where the driver sits, roughly the place where you keep your heels when driving (pressing the pedals). Yesterday i climbed under the car since i needed to check my grounding and noticed that there are some small holes rusted through so that's were the water came in and soked the floormat.

Since mine is a coup?, i can't add spots that are tied to the convertible top..
But a sure shot is to replace all the rubber gaskets and find/fix/replace all the cracks/holes in the rag-top. :)

i hope that helped at all :)

-Alex

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Torquenstine, I'll be sure to check those areas.

I did get under the cowl on the passenger side and cleaned out that drain related to the blower fan. Someone had posted a nice description of what was going on down there, and I also happened to find a random bolt among the leaves and dirt. I took pictures while putting it back together. Since this seems to be a common problem, should I volunteer them for a How-to? Some of the descriptions were confusing, so I thought it might be helpful.
:)

I didn't think about the driver's side, though, but that was a less drastic area for collecting water, and it seemed to be closer to the seat rather than under feet. Next time I get wet I'll look into both options.

And I haven't been able to get under the car yet to check the rear passenger floorboard, but I'm sure I'll find a hole or something.

In case anyone is interested, I have a 1 gallon shopvac, and had to empty it twice. Ick.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When my car sat on level, water will leak in from firewall and run under where the front seats attach. I would get a pool of water back there. I dont know if that helps your situation or not. Thats the only place water leaks in my car, each corner of windsheild and bottom of blower fan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
speaking of rear seat.. i just remembered, when i was doing some cabling for the the audio i removed the rear seat and the place where the seatback is attatched by bolts (seatbelts are also on the same attatchment (torx 50), they go right through the car and i think there may be a chance that while driving through a pudle it might leak in from there..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The rear passenger floorboard could be the wheelhouses rotted out. It's very common on these cars. You'll get water in the floorboard, under the back seat, and in the trunk. Pop your trunk open and look at the top of the wheelhouses (the big round sheetmetal housings that go over the tire openings). They like to rot out around where the shock mounts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have taken apart the cowl and cleaned out under that blower fan thing, and I made sure to get everything out of there.

It's still leaking. Will it always do that under heavy rain, and cleaning it just made it not leak anymore for light rain? Or did I miss something else?

(I got my trunk light working! I didn't know it, but when I started bailing out the trunk got mad because the wires going up into the trunk lid kept getting in the way, and I had forgotten that I got some clippies from the junkyard. I put a new clip in, and also found one with a little tube on it, I guess that is what tells the light when the trunk is closed? But I clipped it in too, and let there be light!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.