J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Moon how are you. I have an 88 z24 and i find your site great. I have a few questions though and i hope you can help me. The first is that i am thinking to put a cold air intake like yours. Why puting the alluminum pipe with the K&N filter has more power than the air filter with the stock air hose?. In both situations the stock air box is removed. My other question is that I live in Oneonta, Upstate New York where the winter is hard and long and the summer is short. Do I have to worry about the filter geting durty because there is no box protecting it any more. (or just put the open air filter on the summer and switch to the stock box in the winter) The other thing is that if I use a drier vent underneth the car and push more cold air to the open filter??? is that good?. What about the rain that goes through the vent to the air filter. Again thank you for your time..........Tasos.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The K&N air filter is a good way to go. First an open air cleaner is alot less restrictive forcing air into the engine causing the "ram air" effect. Forced air will give you better response when you mash the gas, the engine is less likly to be starve for air.
Engines like cold air. This is a known fact. Many drag racers between runs will put ice bags on top of the intake to make the air cooler. These systems don't keep the air any cooler because you aren't moving the air intake further away from the motor, you would actually be making it hotter because it is air from the engine bay instead of from outside. These systems where first made for carbureted and TBI cars to get the filter of the top of the motor.
Also the K&N and most other high dollar filters are made from materials that filter better while allowing more air to pass through. The K&N filter, in my opionion, is worth the $50 price tag because you can clean it and reuse it, so don't worry about it getting dirty. Some of these good filters have a limited lifetime guarentee. I don't remember if K&N is one.
As far as the rain and snow, you could buy what is called a pro-charger which is pretty much a breathable cover for the filter, you sould be able to buy one from a filter company, speed shop, or try Jeg's or Summit online.
Now as far as the drier vent it wouldn't work unless you ran duct work up next to the air filter. This lets the cold air in as long as the vent is not resrictive and free flowing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.