J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
um... if I may make a humble suggestion... unless you have the proper equipment at home, I would put out the 75 - 125 it will cost to have a shop do it.

That being said, I have the stock specs somewhere I'll post them up either tomorrow or Sunday, unless someone beats me to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i really appreciate it i know i should have a shop do it but i am more or less just trying to get it as close as possible the camber is like way negative and until i have the money i would rather not slide from one side of the road to the next when i am going around a curve you know what i mean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,652 Posts
I've actually found that stringing a car in a garage is more accurate than a rack (as long as the garage floor is level). It may take longer and be more tedious, but the end result is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
so not to thread jack but if my toe is way out and if your looking at the top of th car and the front wheels are going like this / \ when they should be this | | is that fixable? or am I more less screwed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
you can't really just look at it and tell.. the shape of the body throws off your vision a lot more than you'd think.. the only true way is to pull out a measuring tape and check it.. but no you are not screwed, you just need to adjust the tie rod ends if the toe is out.
if the toe is off you can usually easily tell, the car will either try to pull to one direction and one of your front tires might show increased wear.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
25,608 Posts
oneredry said:
so not to thread jack but if my toe is way out and if your looking at the top of th car and the front wheels are going like this / \ when they should be this | | is that fixable? or am I more less screwed?
that's fixable.. although i have mine like that on purpose.. helps with the rubbing when i hit bumps. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
oneredry said:
so not to thread jack but if my toe is way out and if your looking at the top of th car and the front wheels are going like this / \ when they should be this | | is that fixable? or am I more less screwed?
that's fixable.. although i have mine like that on purpose.. helps with the rubbing when i hit bumps. :lol:
you have your Toe out on purpose?? that makes no sense. if anything your camber should be adjusted to help with rubbing.

Front View - using camber to avoid rub
/ / \ \

Top View - using toe ? ..don't do this it won't help at all, just wear out your tires super fast.

front of car
/ / \ \

| | | |
rear of car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
pezed said:
you can't really just look at it and tell.. the shape of the body throws off your vision a lot more than you'd think.. the only true way is to pull out a measuring tape and check it.. but no you are not screwed, you just need to adjust the tie rod ends if the toe is out.
if the toe is off you can usually easily tell, the car will either try to pull to one direction and one of your front tires might show increased wear.
ohh trust me you can tell. I just put new spindles on because of my big brake kit now it looks similar to that.. this has been a cluster fuck, I had to buy new wheels and tires to clearence them now the tires that I purchased slightly rubs on the front bumper (but just the one tire though) so now I have to do some body modifications to suit this.. this has been one desaster after another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Rob: no its not like that on purpouse when they put the new spindles on thats how it was.. they couldn't align the car because of my front bumper they didn't have heads that stick out that far. now that I have the wheels that it it (with out the spacers) I can actually get the car aligned properly but I still have to remove the bumper (no big deal) I just want to blow this car up and collect the insurence money one it.. If its not one thing its another. (note I haven't been driving it because the toe is way out. I don't mind the car if its a litle // \\ (front car feiw) but I will not drive it when the toe is out or ( // \\) top view
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
25,608 Posts
barrok69 said:
whitelightning2 said:
oneredry said:
so not to thread jack but if my toe is way out and if your looking at the top of th car and the front wheels are going like this / \ when they should be this | | is that fixable? or am I more less screwed?
that's fixable.. although i have mine like that on purpose.. helps with the rubbing when i hit bumps. :lol:
you have your Toe out on purpose?? that makes no sense. if anything your camber should be adjusted to help with rubbing.

Front View - using camber to avoid rub
/ / \ \

Top View - using toe ? ..don't do this it won't help at all, just wear out your tires super fast.

front of car
/ / \ \

| | | |
rear of car
Aah, i was looking at it wrong, yes my camber is adjusted so the rims tuck in at the top. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,652 Posts
I always run toe out. between .5-1 degree each side. It helps with turn-in on the inside tire and pre heating the outside tire for more grip. Its not good for street driving only though. I still need to work out the bump steer....hopefully Dan can help me out when I look at his setup. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Stock specs for an 88 Z24 (i'd imagine they are the same as an RS), are:

FL & FR: Camber (between -0.7* and 0.7*)
: Caster (between 0.7* and 2.7*)
: Toe (between -0.10* and 0.10*)

RR & LR : Camber (between -0.8* and 0.3*)
: Toe (between 0.05* and 0.21*)

:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
skunkworks_zed said:
Stock specs for an 88 Z24 (i'd imagine they are the same as an RS), are:

FL & FR: Camber (between -0.7* and 0.7*)
: Caster (between 0.7* and 2.7*)
: Toe (between -0.10* and 0.10*)

RR & LR : Camber (between -0.8* and 0.3*)
: Toe (between 0.05* and 0.21*)

:wink:
probly not the same because the Z24 had stiffer/lower springs, but i'd imagine pretty darn close.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top