J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check out this car today and i think i am gonna buy it and let my parents have their cav back, its a 1979 AMC AMX and the guy wants 1500 for it, all it needs is some body work and paint and it will be minty again, the interior is all good and just the door hinge pins need adjusting and a rod on the passenger door so u can open it from the outside, im so excited this is an amazing car considering there are only 2 in the city

· Registered
4,296 Posts
OMG!! I had the exact same car!! Black 79 spirit AMX with the orange/red stripe package, 304, auto(I swapped in a 360) I got mine for $400 but it was kinda rough. Pretty fast, hard to get it to hook up, but I'm pretty sure all the AMX's had posi's in em. A lot of those parts are VERY hard to find, especially the fender flares/front air dam, rear spoiler and the amx grille. The top of the fenders rust out bad on those cars, so you're lucky if they're in good shape. Their is only one company that makes headers for that car, hedman headers, they're a bitch to get in that little engine bay. Those are pretty rare, the only year for that body style with a v8 in it, in 80, you could only get the 258 in an amx. :-?

Sweet ride :burnout:

· Registered
1,513 Posts
My buddy had an AMC when we were in high school. It had a straight 6 in it, but it was still pretty fast. I can remember doing donuts in it on barely wet pavement. I can't imagine what a V8 would be like in one of those.

· Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
robtco99 said:
The top of the fenders rust out bad on those cars, so you're lucky if they're in good shape.Sweet ride :burnout:
ya the top of the drivers side fender was rusted out it has a hole about 5 inches down from the windsheild but im pretty sure concorde or spirit fenders fit so i won't have a problem fixing them,

but u know what im just thinkin now i should get somthin different cause of the hard to find parts

· Registered
216 Posts
I found this bit of a car craft article on a AMC website:

The best the car could manage in the quarter-mile in stock form was a 17.50 second elapsed time at 79 mph. For comparison, the 258 six-cylinder AMX did it in 17.70 seconds at 77 mph. Not too much difference there, but as CarCraft stated, "Happily, the car's handling far surpassed its other abilities." And they went on to say, "The car is genuinely fun to drive. It feels peppy and responsive, and you aren't aware of its limitations until you actually time it."

It looks as if its not very fast at all, but apparently they handle very well, and they look cool :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.