J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of times after I let my car sit overnight, or through out the school day i start my 89 Z24 up, 114000miles. It revs up to about anywhere between 3000 and 4200rpm, then descends down to 1200 where it idles roughly. I don't mind that, i let it do it's thing and i do mine. But then, the engine will be running, i'll hit the gas pedal, but rather than revving, it begins to stall, I'm assuming that the air coming through the air intake isn't getting through right and theres too rich of a mixture so the engine begins to stall.
So i'll hit the gas and watch it stall then quickly let it rev back up before it dies or i'll play with the trottle body until the air starts to flow in nicely and i drive away.
I'm assuming it's the intake, but i'm an idoit. A few other people have said the same thing in sorts. So anyone have any ideas/instructions? While your reading this my cars probably in the shop now...

peace

Snootchy bootchy little nootchies...

[ This Message was edited by: 2gamericanz on 2001-10-08 01:20 ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump problem... i had that with mine.. it would rev really high then after a min go below 1000 and near stall and then stall when i hit the gas.. try using a rubber mallet and bang your gastank.. that usually fixes it. also see if you got pressure.. hit the release on it. it should hit the hood if u press it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try that, the cars in the shop now, i'll see what the mechanic says, hopefully that's all it is, i do have a leak in my gas tank, i know that...

peace

Snootchy bootchy little nootchies...

[ This Message was edited by: 2gamericanz on 2001-10-08 16:08 ]

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could also try to clean the idle air contol valve. Its on your throttle body. the one with the sensor plug. my car would do the same until i removed it and sprayed it with some break-cleaner. It really doesnt take much, only about 10-15 min. just don't try to mess with the little spring or move the valve from its place, as it should be calibrated to your car's need for air-intake. good luck if its not that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.