J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting an oil pressure gauge for my car. The unit comes with the sending unit. I looked at the instructions on the web but it doesn't really say where the sending unit is mounted. I wouldn't think it's mounted in the oil pan like the temp sensors, is it? Or does it replace the exsisting sender for the light? If I have a gauge I dont need the light, but does the ecm need to see that sender. I have read in another forum about making some type of a "Y" to use both senders, is this what I need to do?

For the record I have a puny 2.2 liter with basic RS gauges, speed/temp/fuel.

The gauge in question is an Auto Meter 5727.

I'm not sure if this was better in repair or performance section, move it if need be.

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
Yes, you should retain the factory sender and use a T to add the new sender.

This will leave the factory wiring intact and functional, it will keep your light, which is a good thing, as it will get your attanetion if something goes wrong. ;)

· Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Raven. I was curious about that. After I got home last night I looked that the schematic in my haynes book and it looks like the factory sender has something to do with the fuel pump as well, thats why I wasnt sure if I could replace it. Can this T fitting be found at a parts store?

Do you happen to know the location of the sender on a 2.2? I would think it's close to the filter, I just havent had the time to dig around and look for it. The Haynes book doesnt even seem to mention the sender anywhere. I notice the haynes books are really lacking when it comes to certain things like sensors and locations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.