J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me just say that I've had to learn EVERYTHING I know about cars by myself. My father bleeds every time he touches a tool of any sort, my brother is one of these "I know everything about everything, but it's all bullshit" types, and none of my friends are into cars or even have any cars.
It really sucks not having anyone to ask stuff that I don't know. Most of you out there have fathers or friends that are really into cars, am I right?

(random commentary brought to you by the letter J)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess it runs in the family for me, though I was never interested until I got myself interested, heh. Both of my brothers are mechanical (One owns an '85 944, and the other is rebuilding a '64 Corvair), and pretty much every make and model of domestic car has parked in this driveway at one point or another. I just wish we still had our '87 Z28

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had to learn it all myself too. mostly i learned everyting from this messageboard and from reading my Super Chevy magazines, but i'm still a long ways away form being somewhat confident. my dad is just a office boy, so he doesn't really know anything about cars, and my brother's a dumb burnout , so mostly i am self taught!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, all my Dad knows about cars is that the gas pedal makes you go, and my mom's worse, so I'm pretty much self taught (though I still know jack-shit )...but I'm learning, and hope to learn more. I just wish I had started learning about cars earlier (The thing that got me into it was the fact that this summer I worked with people who had a 2001 911 turbo, boxter s, 911 carrera, 2002 'vette Z06, 2001 'vette, etc etc). Now I have the need for speed

·
Registered
12 Posts
it's all good man...<SIZE size="100"></SIZE>i have learned nearly everything my father could teach me about cars with out getting into electrical specs and model ID numbers that no one cares about, and he has been a General Motors Mechanic and top dawg in his garage for 23 years..And if that's not experience, i dunno what is. As for myself, i have taken multiple courses on internal combustion and race motocross. im not bragging, and i'm not being a prick, but i'm sure that anything you could ever ask me i could answer. so if anyone needs any engine tech help...IM YOUR MAN! [email protected] [/b]

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
welcome to the site motoboy413, but i dont think hes gonna reply cause that post is 3 years old.

newbie lesson #1, please do not post in old threads, if you want to learn from reading old threads (as i and most people do) thats a good idea, just check the date from the last post, and if its that old, please dont post a reply.

the site owner has even said, the only reason those threads are not deleted is because there kinda like our archives.

once again, welcome to the site, and enjoy your stay

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
taught myself everything ;)

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Since my father was older (71 years old) by the time I was old enough to get into cars (17), so he didn't do much performance wise. Mostly he just repaired his van and other family cars. I learned some of that from him, then taught myself everything else. My brother likes tricking his trucks out, but either I do much of the work or he pays someone else to do it. So I am really the only one I know (that lives near me) into cars.

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
I've been into cars as long as I can remember. My dad did some basic tune-up type stuff for himself, but everything else had the car in the shop. Once I had my first car, I started learning to fix things on my own so I didn't have to pay anyone else to do it. I think when I learned the most about motors and stuff was when we rebuilt a 72 super beetle motor for our dune buggy (we rebuilt like 4 of them because we kept getting bad ones with weak pistons or rods or whatever, and punched a few holes in the blocks) that now has a carburetor problem and hasn't been run in like a year. Someday (after I get the time to get my bronco running and sell it and get the interior done in the cavi) I'll have to work on that some more and get it running again. Once I get it running, I have to rebuild the suspension (needs something more off-road worthy) and straighten out the steering wheel. I might even take the time to throw an auto tranny on it instead of the sad excuse for a stick that's on it now... :p

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I first started off in school and learnd from there.. stuffed my head in all the books I could.. From there I got a job in automotive field and was working and learning at the same time... Then I went back to tech school and learned more.. and now I still just bearing my head in anybooks I can and work and learn.. talk to lots of people..

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
my dad had to quit school when he was 16. which was a while ago. he became a mechanic. he make me do all the work and he over sees it. then when i am done he shows what me what i did wrong. then we go over it again. this way it helps me learn easier. just our own style

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
my father and my grandpa taught me alot, but now i'm learning to do it for a living so i've surpassed them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My dad and his brothers owned their own mechanic shop. Now my uncle is retired and builds 3 wheelers (the size of cars). My dad had me help him on everything we did on the vehicles. Then I also taught myself a lot too.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I learned mostly from books and a few friends

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am currently learning from markeemsz,the best way to learn about the maintenance of automobiles I think is through family 8)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My father taught me how to fix all my cars and always helped me but he thinks doing anything performance to your car is useless so all that kind of stuff I taught myself or learned by reading books and stuff like that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had to learn everything by myself...

Unfortunatly, when my father died 2 years ago, i was 16, and had no interest in cars ...

My father was pretty good and knew a lot.... he could have taught me a lot of stuff ... :/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts