J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random thought.. Since the Berettas are so close to the Jbodies in all the important areas.. What do you guys think about using the Quad 4 HO axles?

I checked the part numbers of a 1993 W41 'retta VS a 1993 Z24 and they are different. I'm planning on stopping by Autozone to visually compare the differences some time this week...

·
Registered
170 Posts
interestin to know they should be the same since u already have muncie 3.94 so i wouldnt see a problem

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
Just a random thought.. Since the Berettas are so close to the Jbodies in all the important areas.. What do you guys think about using the Quad 4 HO axles?

I checked the part numbers of a 1993 W41 'retta VS a 1993 Z24 and they are different. I'm planning on stopping by Autozone to visually compare the differences some time this week...
Is the part # the same at autozone?

I never knew the 4cyl auto and 6cyl auto used supposedly different axles until I learned about that here.

Autozone shows the same # for both apps.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cahilj said:
What ever gave you that idea?
:lol:

scott0999 said:
seems kinda weird going to a 4cyl axle would be an upgrade? :lol:
GM put alot of better parts in the W41 cars.. the springs in the detent assembly in the tranny, supposedly better syncros, better gearing, the option of a true LSD for the HM282 etc..

BTW, i now have the stock 91 Z24 tranny in my car, the W41 trans wasn't helping as much as i wanted. the 4th gear was nice but trapping around 104 MPH and having a damn hard time getting anything better than a 13.99 seemed like a waste.

I'll be looking for a 90/91ish quad 4 tranny very soon, the good 4th with the 3.61 FDR. :)

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I just crosschecked the Olds Achieva axles vs. the Z24s. They are also different in part #s, when they should be the same.

Power Line DRIVE SHAFT PWRLN

Part Number: CV10554 ( Searched for 93 Achieva with HO Q4)

CHEVROLET back to top
1992 - 1994 BERETTA

OLDSMOBILE back to top
1992 - 1995 ACHIEVA
1991 CUTLASS CALAIS

PONTIAC back to top
1992 - 1995 GRAND AM

Power Line Axle

Part Number: CV10507 (Searched for 93 Z24)

This product fits the following vehicles - click on a vehicle to see detailed engine information.

CHEVROLET back to top
1992 - 1993 BERETTA
1992 - 1995 CORSICA

1992 - 1994 CAVALIER

PONTIAC back to top
1992 - 1994 SUNBIRD

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Man, those are some strange cross-fits. I'm going to say that the reason they're different is because of the ABS reluctor wheel. But even then, alot of aftermarket axles are different even from the factory stuff, and are made to fit more than originally intended. Try searching for one car that had both engines available. The Beretta was like that, no?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
The Achieva Axles will be different from a J body. You need to gross a GTZ with Quad 4 Beretta with a Z24.

It wouldn't surprise me though dave. Just make sure you double check the length, obviously the splines will be the same.

·
Registered
378 Posts
scott0999 said:
Its not the quads that are breaking the axles very often, its the 3x00's matched up to manual trannys that are tearing them apart.

The beretta and cavi front ends are pretty similar, so theres a good chance retta axles will work. I would think that the main issue would be the length of the axles.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
you guys should get ginobeats to check about the differences in axles.

i dont think they will be any different though, besides its not the horsepower that kills the axles its the instant torque.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, from what I remember from Aaron Choate back in the day - the Q4 axles are not as strong. He was running slicks and a built quad on nitrous. He had some axles custom made that were hybrids of the q4 axles and v6 axles because the main shafts were thicker on the v6 axles...

I know he didn't break one after the new axles, and that included atleast a 13.5 pass @ 103 with a Torsen LSd and slicks launching from a 5 speed.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
barry said:
scott0999 said:
Its not the quads that are breaking the axles very often, its the 3x00's matched up to manual trannys that are tearing them apart.

The beretta and cavi front ends are pretty similar, so theres a good chance retta axles will work. I would think that the main issue would be the length of the axles.
Same part number year for year. :lol:

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
91berettagt said:
The Achieva Axles will be different from a J body. You need to gross a GTZ with Quad 4 Beretta with a Z24.

It wouldn't surprise me though dave. Just make sure you double check the length, obviously the splines will be the same.
rob, if that was the case, then why does Beretta 92-93 come up as an option for the quad 4?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
wasas9 said:
91berettagt said:

rob, if that was the case, then why does Beretta 92-93 come up as an option for the quad 4?
Pretty simple steve, Achieva's are Different Body cars. The quad in the Beretta was available up to 93. When chosing a GTZ steve, about 90% of the auto dealers automatically assume it has a Quad motor. If go in there telling them you have a base, they will normally assume the 2.2. :lol: Thats basically all i meant by crossing a GTZ.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
91berettagt said:
wasas9 said:
91berettagt said:

Pretty simple steve, Achieva's are Different Body cars. The quad in the Beretta was available up to 93. When chosing a GTZ steve, about 90% of the auto dealers automatically assume it has a Quad motor. If go in there telling them you have a base, they will normally assume the 2.2. :lol: Thats basically all i meant by crossing a GTZ.
well i cross checked the 93 GTZ with the quad, and it still lists the same as the acheiva. So the Achievas have nearly identical front end parts as the L and J bodies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.