J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to enter my car in a local show under the"work in progress" class but my bad luck struck again. I was going to clean the engine up a little bit more and add some cable covers but the cable that releases the hood broke. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can open my hood without installing a brand new cable? There are a few strands of the cable that I can get a hold of but not many. How hard is it to install this cable and where can I find them? Thanks, Lonny

· Registered
6,270 Posts
if the cable broke off the handle in side the car u should be able to pull it with a pair of plyers, but if it broke elsewhere unbolt hte latch on the hood, since yours is a phase 2 it should work once you do that get the catch out of the bottom latch and replace the cable, actually, go buy the cable then do all this that way u don't have to open the hood close it and go buy the cable and have to repeat the process, hope this helps

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Joe and Sean, thanks for the advise. The cable broke off inside the car and there are a few strands of cable hanging out that I can reach. I am not sure if they will hold up to me pulling on them with pliers but all I can do is hope? I am sorry but I don't see how I can pull the grill off without having the hood open. Also how do you unbolt the latch without the hood being open? Remember I am new at this and don't know all the in and outs of the cavalier yet. I just got back from the car show and I wish that I had of entered my car even with the hood closed. There was not one single Cavalier there and most of the cars that would have been in my class did not look as good as mine. That is not just my opinion but several of the people that I know thought the same thing. I do have some pictures of some of the cars that were there. I don't know how to post pictures yet so if anyone wants to see them I will be glad to e-mail them to you? I did not see any Japanese cars, most of them were American made. There were also a lot of trucks and Motorcycles there. Maybe next year I can talk some of you in to coming down here to show off your Cavaliers? For a small town show its pretty damn good and I think you all would enjoy it. Well thanks again for the advise, Lonny P.S. Where can I go to order the cable?

· Registered
6,270 Posts
well you can lie underneath the car and you should be able to see the top of the hood with teh latch and the catch then you use a breaker bar or ratchet with an extension and loosen the bolts and do as i said above

· Registered
49 Posts
My hood cable is missing :eek: :D so i need a new one also, but i have a phase I Z-24 front bumper so its easy for me to reach under and push the tab to the right and pop the hood, but i will need to replace it soon.... :-? I have a replacement cable but it doesnt reach all the way inside the car, so im heading to the boneyard to get one from a cavi that way, good luck

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what would really be cool? On some customized cars they have it rigged so you just press a button on a remote and the doors open. I think it would be kind of cool to have your hood work that way also? Thanks for all the help. I think that I saw a hood release cable in the Summit on line catalog? I know they sale them but if they sell them made for the Cavalier I don't know? Take care, Lonny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.