J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys, gotta quick question which is bugging the hell out of me..

So just recently it randomly started happening: as i am driving, the battery warning light comes on. When i started her up she was fine. After the light comes on she starts surging slightly as i accelerate smoothly, "not stepping on it".

I've noticed that in most cases it has happened (a fiew times, during the month) it has been a bit rainy/moist weather.

Now i figure it means that the alt is not loading or battery is bad or it has an overload, but i just a fiew months ago got new ones and also redid some main grounds 'cuz they were corroded as hell..

Yet when the light comes on, the only effect it has asside from the surging acceleration is slow windshield wipers.. everything else seems to work fine, no dim lights or anything like that..

this is totally weird.. Any ideas what the hell is up with her?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, so today i had a battle with my car and changed all the main positive and ground wires running to the battery, checked the rest of the grounds i could find and they also seemed to be more or less fine, but that did not help.

unplugged my stereo and amps and additional fog-lights, still nothing..

Now, from the alt there are two sets of wiring coming out; a connector underneath with three wires and a single one on the side of the alt, opposite to the belt. What does that single on do? When i unhooked it, the battery warning light dissapeared but also it did not appear on the first turn of the ignition key.

i assume it's somekind of a ground or signal cable for the cluster warning light..

Please help someone. If it's a ground and is bad or shorting, could it be the one preventing the correct loading ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave :)

I'll replace the sucker this week and see if it helps any. Hope it does.. Oh and btw, do you know what is that cable on the side of the alt that i mentioned in my previous post? It has become quite stiff over the years so i assume i should change that also.. ESPECIALLY if it's a ground or an important positive lead..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brad :) I will def. change that wire, it isn't physically damaged yet but looks like it is the one that was put on when first assembled in the factory and i don't want any of the juice to be lost..

Anyhow, today i got my new delco and slapped it on there, after idle relearn.. she purrs like a kitten :love:

so after the alternator change and idle relearn, the faults i had:

* Rough idle - Gone! Now it is steady 950 RPM's
* Studder while braking in gear - Gone! Now she brakes real smooth at any speed while in gear
*Turn signal blinking affecting the cluster read out, bouncing needles and rough idle drop in the blinker rythm - Gone! Now only the needles slightly move (I think replacing the main charging cable from the alt to battery will resolve that)
* Veeery Slow turn signal blink rate - Gone! Now blinks in nice adequate rythm (half a sec interval)
* Cooling fan switching on drops the idle for about 400 RPS for a moment - Gone! Now i can't even tell if it on or not, but the temp is visibly in normal so it works
* Whining sound in the speakers matching the RPM's - Gone! Now i can enjoy music without any side effects

So HUGE thanks guys for the advice, you have no idea how happy you've made this Cavy owner :love:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.